Would this be a hard game to program?...

Started by
12 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 10 months ago
Oh I completely understand that the concept of driving around in areas tossing weapons at each other is not my original concept.

I'm going to get a portfolio of my modeling work in max together to show off the levels and ideas for this project so that maybe some programers will become interested and want to work on it.
Advertisement
While it's true that loads of people have game ideas an GameDev gerts loads of non-programmers looking for people to make their game, you do have an advantage. Artists, 3d-modellers & level designers are highly sought after by amateur developers so if you make a decent proposal for the game and show some sample artwork etc you may get some coders interested. But you may have to give in to letting them contribute to the game design rather than having you as the 'boss'.
As far as the game goes, it's pretty simple. Anyone who's done a driving game could hack their code to get a basic prototype in a few days work - Even my crappy engine could be forced to do this very easily.
I'd talk a bit more and get a businesslike proposal and some concept art done, then go to the "Help Wanted" forum.

Good luck.
I would suggest using Blenders game engine. Blender is a free open-source 3D modeler that has a game engine in it. I've seen a friend make a small demo, it's pretty much click and play. You modell your stuff and can attach actions to it, like keyboard input. Done with diagrams, connecting stuff. Then I heard you can use Python for more advanced stuff. But getting a car running around on your map should be a 5min job once you've learned Blender and done the models. (my friend did a rolling ball thing on a map in like 30 seconds).

If you can get the most part going, and only need some Python help with say weapons I think you could find ALOT help in the help wanted. But do try to get something working first, because then you might actually snag a competent programmer ;)

This will also give you a feeling on how your models work in real-time, in a free game engine. Low-poly anyone? ;)

Blender 3D modeler
Blender Game engine
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Did you get my email?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement