Would this be a hard game to program?...

Started by
12 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 10 months ago
Hello all, I am new to the whole game programming process, but I am not new with the whole game design part of the job. I have been working with 3DS MAX for almost 2 years now and I definatly know how to design levels, characters, animations, textures, etc for games. My biggest problem is I just cannot get into programming games. I dunno I just lose interest and can't learn all the C++ and whatnot. I'm definatly a designer and not a programmer. ANYWAYS. My question is, could some of you programmers let me know if this concept for a game would be very difficult to do? I have asked someone I know who knows some programming and they said this would be very hard to do.. I'm looking to make a racing game that is like "Battle Mode" in Mario Kart, where 4 players drive around in vehicles collecting weapons to use on each other untill each players balloons are all popped. Last one with balloons on their vehicle would be the winner. So I would need basic vehicle controls, a randomized weapons selection, character and level selection and a few more things. Weapons would be like exploding bombs, oil spills, missels and many others. Would this be very hard to program? Thanks for any help in advance!
Advertisement
I'd say its wouldn't be that hard... there are free engines on the net for rendering, level loading, animations, physics, etc...

So an intermediate to advanced programmer should have not much difficulties doing it... might be harder for a newcomer though...
It depends how much you do by yourself, and how detailed you want the physics to be. More detailed physics will quite possibly increase the difficulty level exponentially.

However, if you used premade libraries to facilitate such things, I don't feel it would be overly difficult. Maybe look at:

OGRE - rendering
FMOD - audio

and

ODE - physics

If you have no programming experience, though, then those libraries will be way over your head. :)

I personally recommend you mess around with much simpler games first, such as Pong, or Pacman. I bet you'll be surprised how much trouble you'll have [smile]
I'm actually not looking to program the game myself. I'm just wondering how hard this will be for someone else to do. :D

My other question was would adding alot of items in the game increase the difficulty in programing it by alot?
Depending on if each items do totally different things or variations of the same thing gives you the answer...

If the programmer gives a set of features to the integrator, the integrator can easily do like a "light, medium, heavy" version of tons of of stuff, just by changing the mesh, the damages, strenght, amount of time its on, etc...

Now, doing a lightning gun, a rocket launcher, a grenade launcher, a mini gun, etc... that's the kind of stuff that takes more time, because each item requires specific work.

Good luck with your project, such a game would probably be fun.

Eric
Anybody know what a game like this would costs to have programmed?
lol I see where you're going... :)

Forget it! A professional would be way to expensive. I would say around 5000 - 10000 $ minimum, but nobody would pay you this money back for a game of this kind...

Do it with a team of friends.
Yeah I know programmers costs alot of money which is dissapointing because I have a bunch of great ideas and level for the game. :(

Any other ways to get this programmed that anyone out there might know of?
Yea, do it yourself, no offense or anything, but too many people are trying to take the easy way out(e.g. have someone else do it), why don't you just learn to program, and then eventually work your way up to a game of this magnitude. Oh, an d not to put you down or anything, but 'your' idea, is not as original as you think it is, it's exactly what you said, it's Mario Kart's battle mode. If your really committed to this idea, you might want to try the Help Wanted section of the forum.
"All I want to know is who the man is that looked at a cow and said "I think I'll drink whatever comes out of those things when I squeeze them."Calvin and Hobbes
I know you mean well, but this sort of thing kinda bugs me.

EVERYONE (around here anyway) can pull a couple game ideas out of the air. Programmers have their own ideas too. You'll have to have _something_ to offer to entice one of us away from our own stuff, be it Truely Inspired Ideas (and no offense, but this aint it), or some sort of compensation.

OTOH, "Compensation" doesn't have to mean "Cash". I can't model to save my life. (okay, I can Create A Sphere. Golly.) A little tit-for-tat can go a long way.

But don't think a couple models will cover it. The sort of thing you're asking for will take Many Hours of work for a programmer (though a decent engine can knock off a bit, like say www.GarageGames.com's Torque). Expect to give at least as much time as you get.

Another thing: professional level designers often NEED to learn some scripting. Go pick up some &#106avascript or VB or SOMETHING. Get your feet wet. Once you've got a grip on a script langauge or two, C++ isn't quite so daunting.

Thirdly: Okay, I admit, I'm a Torque fan. This sort of thing wouldn't be all that hard in Torque. It may be possible entirely in script. I recommend that you go get the poorly-named-but-highly-useful book "3D Game Programming All In One". Several online retailers, including Amazon carry it. It goes into scripting a bit, but also covers a lot of how to get art assets into the engine.

Not a bit of C++ (which is why the name isn't so great, but the book itself is).
--Mark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement