8 directions * 8 animation frames

Started by
5 comments, last by Marmin 18 years, 10 months ago
For a 2D game, I'd have to draw like 64 images for just a single guy: 8 directions, and 8 animations (4 walk anims, and 4 different attack styles). I find 64 truly outrageous, is there a way to reduce this amount somehow, and what's the most images for a single character ever seen in a 2D game?
Advertisement
That's right: creating games is a lot of work!

What some game creators do is model the character in some 3D animation package, and then use batch rendering to actually generate all the tiles.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
The easiest way to reduce the count is to make the character ambidextrious (I don't know if I spelled that right). You can just flip the left side images over and you have all of the right side images.

64 really isn't a very high number (I was working on a game in a RPGMaker that had about 64 frames per character). My friend had made an animation demo that had about 506 frames per direction (walking, running, jumping, waving, dieing, and a couple others).
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
That's right: creating games is a lot of work!

What some game creators do is model the character in some 3D animation package, and then use batch rendering to actually generate all the tiles.

Are there any freeware 3D animation packages, where you can easily make a human model?
Milkshape 3D?
Wings 3D?

Check this out: Clicky
η β π
Milkshape costs $25.

Wings3d is unable to animate/rig/texture.

Blender is the way to go.
A lot of work, yep. The work I did for my 2d game cost me more time than coding the game itself. Animations are, imo, a real pain.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement