Cultural development of games

Started by
7 comments, last by BlackSheep 18 years, 10 months ago
After the E3 passing away, I saw several interesting games, which come to such a level of realism (in terms of telling a story), that I wonder if these new technologies will be used to transport something meaningfull in the way of plays of Shakespeare or Music of Mozart. Will in future games be a transport of philosophical or educational value? I think it would be great opportunity to take the immense power of involving people in a narrative expierience and combine it with an interesting philosophical question. Film missed to evolve in that direction, except very few movies, which are mostly already based on literature which transported that message. What's your opinion? Will games become a just a industry-product, or will also exist a certain amount of computer games as form of a new interesting kind of art?
www.gamelib.de -- Your source for game-development
Advertisement
It is possible that some games might attempt to reach a higher philosophical meaning, and some might have already tried that. However, we should not forget that these are games, and are simply aimed to be fun and amusing. As you mentioned earlier, just as few films reach for a deeper philosophical meaning, there is even less chance for games to do the same.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
I do not need deeper philisophical meaning. My life is confusing enough, unless there is some philosophy that answers questions instead of asking them. Dumbass philosophers, I am glad job openings for philosophers are few. Natural selection I say!

On a non sarcastic note, it would be a nice change. You can only shoot so many zombies before wondering "why?".
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Quote:
On a non sarcastic note, it would be a nice change. You can only shoot so many zombies before wondering "why?".

Isn't this already philosophy? (I'm just asking to confuse your small world a little more ;) )

It was intended that way :P
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
So one way of philosophy would be bad-gaming. You just HAVE to shoot zombies UNTIL you ask "why"? :) This would be a completely new way of philosophy called overfed-ism :D
I've long been of the opinion that you can embed philosophy and artistic message in games, and you don't need next-gen kit to do it. The example from my own design portfolio is of an RTS wargame where you suck colour out of the landscape to use as a resource - so as the battle rages on, the previously beautiful countryside is turned grey and lifeless. Not terribly subtle, but when I realised it I was somewhat happy [smile]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

How about a game that is exaclty like real life, but with worse graphics (or release it on the ps3 and have better graphics :P). After playing it a while, you suddenly go outside.

Although on a more serious note, I will try to think of some real ides. I like the color thing though. That is pretty cool.
Film has been used as a medium for spreading philosophy and ideas for years. Film was intended as an entertainment at first as well, just like games are now. Why shouldn't games do it too?

Games may be primarily about entertainment, but they are now teaching us stuff we would never have otherwise learned. How many people knew how to correct a car's skid before they played GT3/4? How many non-CS players know why a flashbang is such a funky piece of kit?

The Matrix dumped a philosopy on the masses (albeit a far-fetched and highly stylised philosophy), and it had enough effect that kids have used it as a viable excuse to gun down their classmates. Viable meaning that said excuse has been ratified as schizophrenia and paranoia by professionals.

Games are just another method of communicating ideas, regardless of content. With enough exposure, someone will pick it up and make something of it. It's all media.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement