• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
phil05

What mesh extensions are supported with Managed DirectX?

This topic is 4739 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Right now, I'm viewing the mesh viewer and it has two extension options: Mesh (.m) and X (.x). My modeler never heard of these extensions. She's asking for 3dx, obj, or something similar. Any idea on this? My book doesn't have a list of supported extensions for importing meshes.

Advertisement
DirectX can only natively load .X files, which are not directly supported by any modeler, but all of them have importers for it. When you create a model, to use it in DirectX, you must convert it to .X format (again almost all modelers have an exporter for this.)

Not sure about the .m Never heard of anyone using this or of a conversion utility (exporters and the like).

Hope this helped. If it didn't, yell at me. [smile]

Peace.

My artist says she's yelling. Apparently, Poser 5 doesn't come with a .x exporter. I'll search for plugins, but please let us know if you come across one. Thanks.

Yikes. I'm sure you can get one somewhere...

You might try the Visual Arts Board. Surely someone there knows.

Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to get a 0 rating? Most people probably won't see this because they have low ratings filtered.

I always thought Poser could export in x.

Well there's a few options.

1) You could use an external library like
lib3ds,IVCON or c3ds

2) You could use another modeler to import poser and export x files.
I beleive Milkshape3d can.
Blender3d can import / export a lot of different libraries.

3) You could also visit Wotsit and figure out and render an animation.

4) Or lastly, you could program your own poser to .x plug in. Documentation should be on the poser website.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!