OpenGL Projects using Visual C++ 6.0

Started by
5 comments, last by chad_420 18 years, 10 months ago
I am reading "Beginning Game Programming" and at this point, in order to learn the material better, I want to create my own OpenGL program from scratch. I am new to Windows Programming and I am new to using MS Visual C++. Since no code I write will build without Link errors, I'm going to start with the basics. 1. What type of project should make for testing my newly learned OpenGL techniques? A Win32 Application? Win32 Console App? Ect. 2. What is a "Workspace" as compared to a "Project" ? 3. How do I link "GLU32.lib" and "OPENGL32.lib" to my projects? 4. What type of projects are the examples that came with my book? ( located on the CD, of course )
Advertisement
Check out NeHe's OpenGL site. It is really good and the first tutorial there explains exactly what you asked for.

Good Luck.
Evillive2
Hello,

I really suggest you take a look at NeHe tutorials, it start from setting an OpenGL project and evolve to more advanced topics, the url is: http://nehe.gamedev.net/

All this tutorials comes with full working code and I am really sure it will help you in OpenGL development.

and for your questions:

1.- It depends, if you use glut you could use a console app, also this is cool for rapid prototyping but if you want more "control" of your app you should use a Win32 app.

2.- The main difference is that a workspace can contain muliple projects.

Regards,
Oscar
I'm sure someone's going to beat me to this, but here's my shot at answering.

1) You'll want to create a Win32 Application, since you desire to target the windows subsystem rather than the console subsystem.

2) A workspace contains projects. A project is a collection of files that are used to build one unit, such as a library or executable. The workspace collects these projects together into a sort of virtual portfolio for the whole "solution." The simple answer is, as a beginner you'll only have one project per workspace, so don't worry about it.

3) Exercise for the reader. Start by right-clicking the project name and selecting properties. Keyword: link.

4) I wouldn't have any idea. Odds are that most of them are Win32 projects, if the book mostly covers graphics-oriented games.

Later,
ZE.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

Quote:Original post by stick_man
3. How do I link "GLU32.lib" and "OPENGL32.lib" to my projects?

In Visual C++ 6.0, when you've created a project, click "Project" in the menu bar, click "Settings" (Alt+F7), click the "Link" tab and make sure the "Category:" combo box says either "General" or "Input".
Here, notice the text box for "Object/library modules:", this is where you add lib-files to be linked to by the linker when building the executable file. If you created a Win32 application this text box will probably contain stuff like "gdi32.lib comdlg32.lib etc." or similar. Add " opengl32.lib glu32.lib" to this text box and click "OK" and it's done.
Quote:Original post by stick_man
4. What type of projects are the examples that came with my book? ( located on the CD, of course )

Hopefully it says somewhere in the book, for example in an introductionary chapter or in appendix. Or maybe in a readme file on the CD?

\Jimmy H
Thank you all for you're responses, after reading through the replies I got a small project up and running in no time. The NeHe site is particularly usefull for a Windows Programing noob like myself.
The tutorial at winprog.org is also a good resource to understand windows apps a little better, its definatly geared toward the beginner.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement