• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Questions about MSVC Betas

This topic is 4620 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a few questions about Microsoft's offerings of MSVC in their beta versions for free. 1. Is the beta version an effective compiler, or is it broken in some way? Does it compile broken software? What about optimizations? Will my code be optimized? For comparison, I'm currently using MSVC 6.0 Standard. 2. Is the proffessional, express, or standard edition better for my purposes? I'm a lone programmer making DirectX games (2d and 3D later), who hopes to release them commercially at some point. 3. Will the beta versions always work? Or will they automatically shut off when the final version is released commercially? Basically, I'm wondering if transferring from 6.0 to a free Beta version is worth it. The shipping is cheap; the real hassle is learning a new environment, and building all my old and current projects into modern incarnations. Thanks. -Gauvir_Mucca

Advertisement
Quote:

1. Is the beta version an effective compiler, or is it broken in some way? Does it compile broken software?

If you are talking about the MS Visual C++ Express Beta 2, it has a full compiler, which is pretty much standards compliant.

Quote:

What about optimizations? Will my code be optimized?

Don't know about that.

Quote:

2. Is the proffessional, express, or standard edition better for my purposes?

I think the Express version would be sufficient, but someone else may be able to help you more with that. I only have experience with the Express Beta and it fulfills all my needs.

Quote:

3. Will the beta versions always work? Or will they automatically shut off when the final version is released commercially?

The Beta for Express is scheduled to shutdown some short time after the final product is released. But since the final product will only cost 50 dollars, I'll be buying immediately at that point.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement