• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LamerGamer

Hi Scores Implementation using fstream

This topic is 4795 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a file for hi scores in the following format: Name1 100000 Name2 80000 Name3 70000 ... Name10 1000 I'm using fstream, but do not know all the functions associated with it. Basically, when a new score is registered, I want to be able to insert it (with the associated Name) in the appropriate spot and remove the last score, so only 10 names total is listed at all times. How would I do this? I'm thinking I would need to create a temp file, copy all scores >= new score to the temp file, then copy all scores < new score, leaving out the smallest high score. Then clear the original high scores file and copy the temp file to the high scores file. Is it necessary to do all this or can I simply insert the new score into the high scores file? What functions do I need to use? Finally, is there a website you recommend that details fstream and all its functions? Thanks

Advertisement
What I would do is have a highscore class that, at the end of every game, would test to see if you score is higher than the lowest highscore and replace it. Before you do this, obviously, you would parse in the last set of highscores to test against.

Here is a reference on fstream. I would like to note that it was the first hit on google.

This seems all good; however what happens when you quit the game? Every time you restart, the data from the previous game won't be saved, which is why I created a file to store this info. I'll look at your link for fstream.

Whenever player quits the game (actually just before it) you check your score file as Mercury had explained you.
Or do you mean an unexpected quit? Not invoked by player? Then i would check against the score file every loop of your main() function, or after every action a player did. Then save (if it's bigger than the lowest) the score to the file and thats it.
Hope this helps a little ;)
Y.

To update, don't bother with a second file. Instead:

- Read the existing file into some data structure in memory, and close the file.
- Update the in-memory data with the new structure.
- Reopen the existing file for (over)writing, and dump the updated value.

If changes to the data are frequent, it may make sense to keep the data structure around permanently in the program, and just periodically update the file (or even just once at program exit). There are a few tradeoffs here (generally speed vs. robustness - I/O is slow compared to basically everything else, and you can't do anything about it - except to time it to happen when it's not so important).

For example:

typedef std::pair<std::string, int> scoreEntry;
struct scoreComparer {
bool operator() (const scoreEntry& a, const scoreEntry& b) const {
return a.second < b.second;
}
}
std::vector<scoreEntry> highscores;
// To insert a score, perhaps inefficiently but very easily (and the efficiency
// really won't matter here):
highscores.push_back(std::make_pair(playerName, playerScore));
std::sort(highscores.begin(), highscores.end(), scoreComparer());
highscores.pop_back();

As for fstream docs, I usually use this.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!