• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Problem in Dev C++

This topic is 4648 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am having a problem in Bloodshed Dev C++. I'm using "Beginning C++ Game Programming" To learn C++. In programs like the following I take user input using "cin." In the program the last time in takes input I type in my input press enter and the game closes. In the following program it closes whenever I enter my last name. Can someone please test it out and see whats wrong? // Lost Fortune // A personalized adventure #include <iostream> #include <string> using std::cout; using std::cin; using std::endl; using std::string; int main() { const int GOLD_PIECES = 900; int adventurers, killed, survivors; string leader; //get the information cout << "Welcome to Lost Fortune\n\n"; cout << "Please enter the following for your personalized adventure\n"; cout << "Enter a number: "; cin >> adventurers; cout << "Enter a number, smaller than the first: "; cin >> killed; survivors = adventurers - killed; cout << "Enter your last name: "; cin >> leader; cout << "\nA brave group of " << adventurers << " set out on a quest "; cout << "-- in search of the lost treasure of the Ancient Dwarves. "; cout << "The group was led by that legendary rogue, " << leader <<".\n"; cout << "\nAlong the way, a band of marauding ogres ambushed the party."; cout << "All fought bravely under the command of " << leader; cout << ", and the ogres were defeated, but at a cost. "; cout << "Of the adventurers, " << killed << " were vanquished, "; cout << "leaving just " << survivors << " in the group.\n"; cout << "\nThe party was about to give up all hope. "; cout << "But while laying the deceased to rest, "; cout << "they stumbled upon the buried fortune. "; cout << "So the adventurers split " << GOLD_PIECES << " gold pieces."; cout << leader << " held on to the extra " << (GOLD_PIECES % survivors); cout << " pieces to keep things fair of course.\n"; return 0; }

Advertisement
i think you want this...

//include this header for system()
#include <cstdlib>
//right before the return 0; at the end..
system( "pause" );
return 0;

Too time I've seen this. Nothing wrong with the program. it display the text and then
return 0;
it ends! If you want to keep the dos prompt open you can do 2 things:
1) windows button + r -> cmd -> find the folder in wich the program is located -> run it
2) add after the "return" a
char blah;
cin >> blah;
in order to make something like "press a button to exit". The system will not close the window until a last input is given

well in DevC++ you can use:

system("PAUSE");
return EXIT_SUCCESS;

but it is better to add:

cout << "Press Any Key to Exit";
char something;
cin >> something;

Both of these keep it open until the user presses a button.

I'm new to c++ myself but wouldn't your program open and close almost instantly, you should throw a system("PAUSE"); before the return in main
I dought I helped any =( but I wish you the best of luck.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement