New game - Invasion 3D

Started by
9 comments, last by SirRichard42 18 years, 10 months ago
First I would like to make the comment that "Submit News" link on the left side of the main NeHe Productions page doesn't work - I'm running WinXP/Firefox/Thunderbird. Secondly, I would like to thank the authors of the NeHe tutorials - I read through a few of them in April when I started learning OpenGL and writing my first game and they were helpful. And finally I would like to announce the publication of my first game, here: http://www.fascinationsoftware.com/FS/html/Invasion3D.html It uses SDL and OpenGL so there are Win32 and Linux versions available, and it's licensed as freeware. It's not too complicated - just a shooter with some interesting effects and massive destruction. I was inspired to write it while playing the original Space Invaders on MAME last summer because I was frustrated at the inability to shoot more than one projectile at once. In my game you can unleash holy hell on the invasion fleet with dual machine guns if you stockpile enough ammo. On the dev side, it has a somewhat complex particle engine - when an invader is shot with a projectile weapon, all of its polygons fly apart and rotate as they fly. I wrote some SSE assembly code to handle the rotations and got it down to about 15 instructions per vertex. That's important because you can have a lot of polygons flying around. There's also a neat 'shockwave' effect when you nail the UFO. I looked for tutorials on the net but all I found were Macromedia sites so if anyone thinks it's worthwhile to add a tutorial about this effect onto the NeHe site, I can write it. Anyway feel free to check it out: download, play a bit, post it on the news page if you think it's good enough to let your other visitors know. Regards, Richard Goedeken
Advertisement
Checking it out now.
I got the windows XP error window the game wont work I'm afraid.
Very cool, although (just a thought) controlling the ship with the mouse cursor might "feel" better for me (but thats just me). It was fun, and by the way, traiger you should probably post WHAT error you're getting, my guess is you just dont have one of the dynamic libraries/ Worked fine for me.

cheers (and keep up the good work)
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
I only get the standard crash report window the one that gives you the option to send an error report I get no other messages.

Admitedly ths comp has currently only got a GeForce 2 in it I'll try it on another machine.
Worked fine for me on WinXP.

Was a long time ago i played Space Invaders, and must admit that the game still is addictive as hell :P Good work there, thumbs up :)
-------------------------------------------------Founder and DirectorAllSoft Studios
cool.. good work.
+-+-+-+-+-STR
hehe great stuff ;]
Welcome to gamedev
You've got some real skill & hope you can help add to the great community here :]

I genuinly enjoyed playing that game & shall keep it installed :]
only crit is the particles look abit odd around the edges:
It looks like you're using GL_SRC_ALPHA,GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA blending but have the particle graphics fade to both black & zero alpha around the edge
This means you get abit of black fade around the edges & it kinda stops the sprites from blending together where they overlap
You'll either want to just use a colour fade (no alpha) on the graphics then use a blendmode based souly on colour like GL_SRC_COLOR,GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_COLOR, or keep the brightness constant on the sprites (remove the fade to black) & use just the alpha channel with your current blend mode
But really that game is great - full thumbs up & I wish you all the best :]
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
Quote:Original post by Ademan555
Very cool, although (just a thought) controlling the ship with the mouse cursor might "feel" better for me (but thats just me). It was fun, and by the way, traiger you should probably post WHAT error you're getting, my guess is you just dont have one of the dynamic libraries/ Worked fine for me.

cheers (and keep up the good work)
-Dan

I understand your idea about the mouse movement.. It would be technically easy to do but I decided not to add mouse control for a couple of reasons. For one, the limited speed movement is a constraint which makes the game harder, and it would upset the difficulty level to have mouse movement. And second, my vision for the game is that it should capture the 'feel' of the original game while adding better graphics, more guns and destruction, and just a few other little things. Mouse movement would make feel more like Chromium than Space Invaders.

Richard
it was pretty cool but a suggestion though. maybe change the colors of the ships to add a little variety between the levels. also give extra lives during the game. for example score 1000 or 1500 points and gain another life. maybe as the levels progress make it harder and harder to get extra lives.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement