• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mrtie_dye

the distance between two points (again)

This topic is 4798 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I finally got around to messing with finding the distance between two points. But I noticed that most of the time, the ditance is 0. For example, the code below prints out "Why did it not work?"
int main()
{
	int x1 = 10;
	int y1 = 10;
	int x2 = 70;
	int y2 = 70;

if(sqrt((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2) != 0)
	     std::cout << "YEAH, it worked!";
	else
	     std::cout << "Why did it not work?";
}

But if I change the two 70's to 60's, it prints out "YEAH, it worked!" And if I change the two 10's to 0's and the two 70's to 50's, then just do this.. std::cout << sqrt((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2); It prints out a 2. What does 2 represent? What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Advertisement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance

Why don't you print out the actual answer? You are assuming anything that isn't a 0 is the right answer.

Quote:

std::cout << sqrt((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2);

outch...
do you know what operator ^ means? I think you don't.
^ is the EXCLUSIVE OR OPERATOR, not the power.

What you want to do is x*x + y*y, or pow(x,2)+pow(y,2), not x^2+y^2.

In addition to using ^ instead of pow or *, you are comparing the result of sqrt, which I believe returns a double, to an integer 0. You may actually get away with this, since I think 0 is exactly representable in real implementations (erm, maybe even has to be?), but in general, using an equality operator on a floating point value is a bad idea.

const float epsilon = 0.000001;

float x1 = 10.0f;
float y1 = 10.0f;
float x2 = 70.0f;
float y2 = 70.0f;

float dx = x2 - x1;
float dy = y2 - y1;
float distance = sqrt(dx * dx + dy * dy);
if (distance < epsilon)
std::cout << "they are very very close\n";
else
std::cout << "they are not very very close\n";

If you really do want exactly the same, and you really do mean integers, either compare x1 == x2 && y1 == y2, or leave the square root operation out and compare the square of the distance with 0.

Sorry, I have been on a "programming vacation" for a while. I am sort of warming up my programming muscles, so to speak.

Quote:

Why don't you print out the actual answer?

I did print out the actual answer when I was testing it. I changed the code when I posted it here to illustrate that the answer was usually 0.
Quote:

do you know what operator ^ means? I think you don't.

You would be correct. I copied the code out of another post a while back. I just assumed it was for powers.
Quote:

the result of sqrt, which I believe returns a double

Good to know. I guess I should have done a little more homework first. :)

At any rate, as usual, you guys really came through. Thanks so much for all your input.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!