The Grail of Game writers

Started by
21 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 4 months ago
As opposed to a small setting there is the option of making the world large but having the travel through the uninteresting parts (like between towns and things) be faster. Like time will actually pass but you wouldn''t have to actually navigate through it unless something happens on the way of course. It''s an option, but there''s something about it I don''t really like....just thought I would mention it.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Click here to see my current project.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
I agree Naz, the problem I hit is "MMO"! What happens then? Do players suddenly warp from one place to the next? It really bugs me too . Pity, because otherwise it would solve all of the problems. Maybe you could just have a lot of forest to ''guide'' the player where they can go and where they can''t... Keeping the detail for their journey... This is still DII though

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Yeah, in Daggerfall they had fast travel which made it so all you had to do was choose a location and you just were there. Days passed accordingly and it costs some money if you choose to stay at inns along the way. This really hurt the game though IMO.

Although, in PnP games that''s usually how it would work. You''d choose to go to a certain location and then if you encountered anything you''d deal w/ it otherwise time would just pass.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement