[.net] What free C# IDE should I recommend to users?

Started by
10 comments, last by jods 18 years, 10 months ago
I use VS.NET 2003 and I'm extremely satisfied with it. However, there are some who would like to use my engine (using C#), but don't have the cash to get Visual C# or don't have access to educational versions. So is there a free, widely used C# IDE? I know there is something like Express Beta '05, but I've heard that it might not work after a certain date. Any others? --Vic--
Advertisement
#Develop
I too would recomend sharp develop. Sadly, the most recent beta has some irritating bugs. Hopefully there will be a new release soon.
There are few good C# IDE that I know of.

The best one is Ms C# Express 2005. Currently in Beta 2, it's downloadable freely from Ms. Yes, I think it is time-bombed. But the definitive release is going to be really cheap, if it's not free (Ms said it wouldn't be free, but I wonder how they're going to justify it, when there are free alternatives for hobbyists).

The next best-known one is #Develop, as mentionned by previous posters.

Another probably very good IDE is the one from Borland, available freely in a personal edition (à la Express). C# Builder is downloadable there: http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_csharpbuilder.html
But I cannot tell you how good it is, because I've never used it myself. But being built and sold commercially by Borland, I expect it to be quite good.

Hope it helps,
jods
It also depends wheter you use C# 2.0 features or not. I don't think #Develop support thoose features. MS Visual Studio Express is the best IDE as it fully support all the feature of the language. The beta version are free and quite robust yet, and the final version shouldnt be more expensive than a video game. The only drawback is that there will be one version per language so if you want both Express C# and Express C++ you will need to pay 2 times.
The final price for each Visual C++/C#/VB.NET Express has been set at $50.

Yeah, currently the engine doesn't use 2.0 features. Waiting til the release of non-beta '05 (which I hear is in late fall). I've never heard of #Develop, but that's certainly something of interest. I'm going to download it soon and check it out. Would be good for people who don't have any cash.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

--Vic--
See MonoDevelop for Linux & Mac. Eventually I'm sure they'll be able to port it to Windows, too.
LOL dug, MonoDevelop is a port from #Develop to Mono... :D
So there is no need to port back to Windows ;-)

Moreover, since Mono exists on Windows, I *think* you should already be able to use MonoDevelop on Windows without problems.

But it's a great suggestion for plateforms other than Win.

Best,
jods
Quote:Original post by jods
LOL dug, MonoDevelop is a port from #Develop to Mono... :D
So there is no need to port back to Windows ;-)

??? Have you ever even used MonoDevelop? Yes, it started out as a simple port of SharpDevelop, but it has since gone its own direction. It is fairly different from SharpDevelop now, especially the GTK# integration, and different addins and supported file formats that are not available in SharpDevelop.

Quote:
Moreover, since Mono exists on Windows, I *think* you should already be able to use MonoDevelop on Windows without problems.

That is incorrect. It doesn't work on Windows just yet. They only recently got MonoDoc working on Windows, which is just one of the requirements for MonoDevelop.

Quote:
But it's a great suggestion for plateforms other than Win.

Don't you think it would make more since to use a cross-platform IDE if you want to develop a cross-platform application in Mono? I think you might want to actually look at MonoDevelop for yourself before answering with such an air of authority.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement