• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
czerwin99

Creating an aqueduct. Help poor student ! -P

This topic is 4741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone. I`ve got upon a serious problem while writing my project for "graphics basics" subject on my studies ,which i cannot step over. I have to create an acient, rome aqueduct in OpenGl. It wouldnt be a hard task -I could create a display list of a single brick, and with , by some routine construct the whole object - if I hadnt have to use EVERY BRICK DIFFERENT from each other. I have written a different brick generator (size fluctuations on the edges, randomizie textres) , but drawing them by a direct method ( glBegin(GL_QUADS) .... ) is extremely slow. Is there any method to fast and efficiently create very many simple object and draw them ? Please help me ! I would be gratefull for any advice. And sorry for my English;P

Advertisement
Well, you already know how to use display lists. Try taking all those different bricks and compiling them into one bigger list. Whatever the routine is that you use to draw each list individually deciding on which brick, use it but on another compilation of another display list. Do that only oce at the beginning of the program and then at run-time, just call the one list.

Thanks!
I want the programm code to be as much optimized as it can be, it is going to be presented on rather low-end computer. So now its time to compile hmm... some 500 - 1000 display lists :O Let the bricking begin !

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!