LoopBack Address dosen't work for me!

Started by
5 comments, last by Slug 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi, i'm trying to make a WinSock network program run on a single computer using the LoopBack address but it dosen't seem to work (It dosent return true on connect). I have WinXP on my machine. Here the code: #pragma comment(lib, "WSOCK32.lib") #include <iostream> #include <winsock.h> #include <string> using namespace std; int main() { string ip; int port; //Define ip and port ip = "127.0.0.1"; port = 80; //Define containers for the data and version WSADATA sockData; WORD version; SOCKET conn; //Define container for exceptions int error; //Make version version = MAKEWORD(1,1); //Start winsock API with version and data as buffer (&) error = WSAStartup(version, &sockData); //Start the socket conn = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP); //Once socket is established give values to nodes SOCKADDR_IN Winsock; Winsock.sin_family = AF_INET; //Winsock connection port Winsock.sin_port = htons(port); //Winsock connection IP Winsock.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr(ip.c_str()); //Connect on the socket if(connect(conn, (SOCKADDR*) &Winsock, sizeof(Winsock)) == SOCKET_ERROR) { //if an error return the error number cout << "An exception has occured (" << WSAGetLastError() << ")\n"; //Cleanup socket WSACleanup(); system("PAUSE"); return EXIT_FAILURE; } cout << "Socket Connection established\n"; //Close socket connection closesocket(conn); cout << "Socket Connection closed\n"; system("pause"); return EXIT_SUCCESS; }
Advertisement
What do you mean it doesn't work? You won't be able to connect to anything unless you're running a server. LoopBack means it refers to your machine - the machine still has to have something running to accept the connection.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
What did you mean by "connect to a server"??? The loopback address isn't for
testing your app withont being on the internet???
You still need a server application running on your machine for your client application to connect to.
And how can i do that?(sorry for my ignarance on the subject)
You need to create a program that listens on the port your client program is trying to connect to. This page has some info on doing it.
Thxn to all, i'll check it out

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement