• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Slug

Shader question

This topic is 4794 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've tried the nehe vertex shader tuto and find it somehow usefull. So, i've decided to make some modification and try to run a pixel shader, but it dosen't seem that my card sopport them(My graphic card is a GeForce2). So, there isn't a way to emulate them or something like this, like directx do sometime???

Advertisement
You can only emulate vertex shaders on the CPU - pixel shaders must run on the GPU (they would be hideously slow on the CPU anyway).

You will have to write your app to cater for lack of ps support, and gracefully degrade graphics quality.

A nice method to do this in DX is to use effects, which allow you to combine multiple solutions for a range of hardware in a single file and select appropriately.

Hope that helped.

So what card sould i brought to got all the funtionnallity i want?(vertex and fragment shader)

In the NVidia line GF3 and up have some form of pixel shading capability, however I'd recomend getting a Radeon 9600 or 9800 as you'll have PS 2.0 as opposed to PS 1.1 and they're pretty cheap as well. You could also take a look at the GF 6 line which gives you PS 3.0.

The problem you are facing now is one commercial developers face constantly. You can buy any card that you like, as long as it supports what you are trying to implement in your game/learn in your API.

Developers have a large range of differing hardware to test for compatibility, and write different rendering paths for different capability.

Most fairly recent cards support some form of pixel/vertex shaders - you probably won't be needing the more advanced features (over ps_1_1-ps_1_4) for a while, although you dont want to have to buy another card when you get more advanced with the feature-set.

I'm currently using a gf6800ultra, and I havent come across anything that I can't implement so far - though it is still a recent, expensive card.

Can you tell me how this card cost by now? They don't tell it on there site!

You can pick up a slightly lesser version of the 6800 for around £250. Mine I bought trade, and its the GT dual DVI etc etc etc one so it was more expensive...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!