• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

SDK installation woes!

This topic is 4710 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, Well I guess my problem is already sorted and this is moe of a rant of frustration than anything else, but boy has it been a difficult time! Due to a recent virus outbreak on my computer, I've been forced to wipe the system and start from a clean slate. This meant that I had to re-download the DirectX SDK, and boy did that cause problems! So, my entire project is coded for DirectX 8.1b, which seems difficult to track down any more (especially when you're also moving house and have little time as it is!). So I decide to bite the bullet and go with porting it to DirectX 9.0c and get it as bang up to date as possible....... .... to find they have removed DirectShow. Well that's just grand isn't it! So I try and amble by without it for a bit, and eventually decide I really need it back, especially when DirectInput doesn't compile properly in Visual Studio 6. So I install an update to VS 6 to use an updated compiler which then causes other problems. So I uninstall DirectX 9.0c (April Update) and download and install the February update version which still contains DirectShow and is still completely compatible with VS 6.0! So after the hell of trying to search through my code to add in a few extra seemingly pointless NULLs into my existing functions and changing more 8's into 9's than is healthy in one day (i.e. porting to DX 9), I finally realise that there are no debug dll's, which is not great as nothing is rendering properly, I'm getting some first chance exceptions and I'd like to know what they are kthxplzomgwtfbbq1! So I now realise that the SDK doesn't install debug dll's any more and have to go in trek of the DirectX 9.0 February update Extras package. Why the heck can't they just choose a format, stick with it, stop removing things I've used to code the entire of my cound engine with, stop pushing this .net stuff down our throats when VS 6 does the job fine and package everything into a SINGLE file clearly on view in the developer section for download instead of 1000 different versions, 500 add-on packs, DirectX distributables and developer runtimes, all seemingly randomly distributed over their website! How hard is it really!!! /Rant mode off !! Cheers, Steve *EDIT* Well at least it's free, suppose I really shouldn't complain too hard! *EDIT2* And finally since I, just this second, finally got the SDK extras downloaded, I find it doesn't actually contain debug dlls at all (except for direct show/music)... where the heck are they!!!

Advertisement
The debug runtime is most definitely included with the SDK, always. Perhaps you missed it when installing?
Anyway, it's simple to verify that. After extracting the SDK into a temp folder, search that folder for the runtimes. Alternatively, you can open the SDK with winzip or equivalents, IIRC.

I did think that myself. I even went so far as to completely uninstall the DirectX SDK and reinstall it, keeping an eye out for the debug install. There was no option!

I have just installed DirectX 9.0b instead and this did offer a debug install, so I know I'm not going crazy. There is still a problem though as it did not install a control panel utility as it should have done. So I downloaded the directx 9.0b .cpl file from online and the debug option is still greyed out despite having definitely installed the debug SDK. I don't know what's going on with it, but I'm sure the SDK downloads are messed up!

Cheers,

Steve

Quote:
Original post by Mephs
I have just installed DirectX 9.0b instead and this did offer a debug install, so I know I'm not going crazy. There is still a problem though as it did not install a control panel utility as it should have done. So I downloaded the directx 9.0b .cpl file from online and the debug option is still greyed out despite having definitely installed the debug SDK. I don't know what's going on with it, but I'm sure the SDK downloads are messed up!

The debug option is grayed when your runtime version doesn't match your SDK version.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement