• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mrmrcoleman

Appeal for demo work to complete my tutorial...

This topic is 4823 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I am currently writing a tutorial which will detail how to go about applying video files from DirectShow on to Direct3D textures, I have almost completed the tutorial but I need one last thing. I currently only have the videos playing on to 2d quads in the tutorial demo but I thought it would be nice if I could have these videos playing in a slightly more exciting environment. If anybody has any demos/sample code kicking around that they think would look good with a video on a texture then give me a call and we can work together to get the tutorial finished. Anything will do, I had an idea of a video playing on a character's chest/arm etc whilst the are moving but all ideas are welcome. If you can spare a couple of hours over the next couple of weeks and have a good idea then PM me. Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions. Mark Coleman

Advertisement
Have you played HL2? I thought it was pretty cool when they displayed video on the TV screens. It could be cool if your character could interact with the TV or something - maybe change the channels, ect...

I like your idea for this tutorial. People have been asking about rendering video to texture left and right, so thanks for taking the initiative.

A (reasonably) dead-simple idea would be to get a moderately complex mesh and use projective texture mapping as done in one of the SDK Tutorials.

Alternatively, ask in the Visual Arts or Help Wanted forums. If you could get a reasonably good mesh from a digi-artist and write some code to replace TextureX.bmp with your movie you should be absolutely sorted.

Sorry I haven't got any better ideas [grin]

Are you submitting this code/article as a GDNet "feature" by any chance? At the very least make sure you announce it here and ask Coder to 'sticky' it - as circlesoft said, it'll be appreciated by a lot of people [smile]

Cheers,
Jack

Thanks Jeffers...

The reason I am asking for this help is because my DirectX experience extends to DirectShow and Orthogonal Direct3d only. I was kind of looking for somebody to take joint credits on the final example code and help make it a little more impressive. This may infact be outweighed by the evident need for article. I'll give it anotehr couple of days and then just submit it as it is.

Coder, I'll PM you when it is out so that you can sticky it for a couple of days, there seems to be 1 to 2 questions a day on the subject so hopefully it will be a big help.

Mark Coleman

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!