Golumns/Robots/Engineered Creatures

Started by
10 comments, last by Grim 18 years, 10 months ago
Some interesting suggestions thus far. A few I'm not to sure on though. Scripting is a good example of a power user feature that would only be used by a small minority of users. I want this game to appeal more to casual gamer, as such I think that a detailed scripting system would turn people off. But if anyone has any idea of how to implement an orders system that its easy enough for someone to pick up and use I'd be glad to hear it.

Iron chef Carnage:

One of the key points of interest in the game would be that all the past design would be saved and in fact the various Golumns/Robots/Creatures (GRCs) you encounter in while playing would be those past designs or your friends designs. Part of the fun of customizing the play experince to users taste would be built on the fact that you interact with other peoples creations and your own.

Things like Golumn size would be a combination of magic power and materials. So at the begining you might only be able to animate a few lubs of clay, but one you've gained enough magic power you could just as easily animate a 100 foot tall clay statue.

Grim:

GRC Customization would be a key point of the game. So for instance when it comes time to design or build a robot, then the constuction interface would allow you to attach parts together into the robotic creature of your choice. You want a metal spider? No problem. To boring for you? Try attaching retractable wheels to its feet and installing a 4000 horse power engine into its body.

Quote:
If Golumns, Robots, and Creatures where all available to explore would you want them to all have there own advantages and disadvantages or should they all be effectivily be the same?

People seem a bit confused about what I meant by this. What I was asking was essentially should the player be able to build Golumns, Robots, and Creatures all in the same game, or should focous on just one type. At present it seems to me robots would be the easiest avenue to pursue. But at the same time creatures would probably appeal to a wider audiance, and golumns would appeal to people into the fantasy genre. So maybe it would be worth the extra effort to include all 3 types.
Advertisement
Here are more of some random ideas. Many of them are based on conflict, however.

If you use robots, you could make it that the robots can fix each other and build more robots from materials found from the game world... The robots could have different means for communication ranging from direct cable connection to, I don't know, intergalactic subspace communication. If you want to have conflict with different factions, you could also make it possible to create viruses (as in computer viruses) and then send some of your robots to infect the enemies with the viruses. Or simply reprogram the enemies to do your bidding...

As for having creatures, why not create the possibility to breed creatures, trying to bring the best out of them by selective breeding? This could make interesting gameplay... As you progress in the game, you could first gain the possibility to actually observe and study the genetic model of the creatures (aiding the selective breeding) and eventually gain the possibility to do some hardcore genetical engineering. Getting a dna sample from a dangerous adversary (using nothing but your own creatures, naturally) just to be able to analyze it to improve your own creatures and find out the weaknesses of the enemy could be really interesting gameplay-wise. That is, if you want combat in the game.

The environment could also play an important part. Having the creatures evolve in a cold environment can hamper the survival in a hot environment etc.

As with the robot case with the viruses, the creatures could also get sicknesses depending on the environment and the inherited genes.

And combining robots with creatures (making bionic creatures) could be very much fun...

Having fundamentally different entities could be very much fun. Magical entities such as golems could be diced in pieces and still each piece could work independently. Robots could be easily modified even after they were built. Living creatures could multiply by themselves (even adders can multiply on a log table) and could provide their own energy (by finding food autonomically etc).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement