• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mattlab

Suggestions?

This topic is 4792 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone have any suggestions that would make this game look more visually appealing? Here is a screenshot of the game:

Advertisement
It's hard to put my finger on it exactly, but something about the picture seems almost blockish. It almost looks like the polygons are flat shaded. It's kind of difficult to tell with the compression artifacts though. Maybe you could try smoothing things out a bit?

It's the triangular edges. Rather then having smooth tops, it looks like all the various landscape protrusions have sharp edges like a pyramid.

This is just my advice:
The transitional grey area from the green to where the mountains are snow capped is not that smooth (particularly on the closer range on the left side).
There is to much green higher up the mountains.
How about some foilage and maybe some low hanging clouds about the peaks.
But overall looks good. (hell of a lot better than I could do).

I agree with The Senshi that the peaks of each rise are a bit too sharp, but other than that it looks great! Maybe add a few weather effects (like the sun or clouds) and maybe a little random vegetation? Not entirely sure what areas you're looking to improve, but overall it looks great.

Keep up the good work!

Yes, it does look very nice! Only thing I can suggest is to fix up those snow caps somehow. Perhaps making them larger covering most of the peak, and fixing the transition (right now, there's too sharp a contrast). Nice work though.

I was just wondering what effects we should add...and so on. Also how to visually improve the mountains....can you elaborate on the triangles discussion? If you wanted to add something to make this look better what would it be?

By the way thanks for the compliments.

Thats better than I ever did with Shitterrain editor version 0.7 or something. Looks awesome. However, I would find a way to remove the text and just raise the verteces of the mountain with the cursor. Otherwise it doesn't really look like a game (not that it doesn't look great!) I'm not sure if this is the type of comment you were looking for, but there you have it. Keep it up!

it migth be compression artifacts im seeing, but if not, use mipmaping
otherwise it looks great

As mentioned the snow doesn't blend in well enough with the other colours, it needs to be a more gradual colour change to white.
Some fog or clouds higher up would be more realistic.
Perhaps lens glare from any sun or reflection off the top snow peaks.
Anti-ailiasing where the mountain meets the sky (although fog or clouds would reduce the need for that and have better performance over anti-ailiasing)
I think the mountain looks a bit too sharp, real mountains are usually massivly weathered structures and as such aren't really so pointy. Two solutions: increase polygon resolution to make it less jaggy or smooth out some of those shadows a bit more and put the clouds/fog in there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!