Some theory about life, soul and random numbers

Started by
154 comments, last by Daerax 18 years, 10 months ago
Ok, this is something that I was thinking of for a while. Let's ASSUME, for the sake of the conversation, that there is a soul, and every living organism has a soul assigned to it. Here is my definition of the soul: A 'something' that resides OUTSIDE the universe, and via some mean or another it is able to control all the living organisms. You might believe or not believe in that definition, but, again, for the sake of this topic, please assume it is correct. Now, the question is, how can a soul control a living organism? Afterall, there are no known physical forces that allow that (ie. there are no visible strings between us and the outide of the universe). The elctromagnetical force can't be responsible for it, as we can function very well inside a totally electromagnetically shielded box. The gravity MIGHT be able to explain stuff such as telepathy (we think of something, some electrons move in our brain, the gravity field changes, another brain picks that change and decodes it into coherent thoughts, images, words, etc.). But this is unlikely, as it's like trying to smell a drop of parfume in the Pacific ocean 1000 KM away. The nuclear forces have a too limited range to allow such a connection. But what if there is another way for the soul to communicate with the brain, and with other souls? What I was thinking for a while is a "randomness field". As many of you know, there are various nuclear phenomena that are totaly random (such as the radioactive decay, the exact position of an electron, the chance of a particle to tunnel, etc.) So is it unresonable to believe that those random events can be triggered by an invisible, unknown field, similar to, say, the electomagnetic field? If such a field can be observed, then we can easely enstablish a mechanism on how the soul works: That field modifies the random chances of each particle from our brain (chance to tunnel, chance to decay, etc.) and this could effectively control all our desires, thoughts, etc. (afterall, the brain is just a biochemical computer). Apparently, the The Global Consciousness Project tends to support the existence of such a field. So, what do you think? P.S. I would like, if possible, to bring mature arguments pro or against this theory.
Advertisement
Where does the idea of a soul come from in the first place?

I personally choose to not give importance to ideas which came at first purely from the imagination of humans a long long time ago (i.e. ghosts, souls, god, etc.)

Why would there be a need for souls anyway?
Quote:Original post by Hedos

I personally choose to not give importance to ideas which came at first purely from the imagination of humans a long long time ago (i.e. ghosts, souls, god, etc.)

If this were true, shouldn't there be more order to the "randomness field", since its primary function is to control living beings?
I dont think there is such a thing as an eternal soul, when we're born, we pretty much start with an untrained neural network which starts training and finishes working when you die.

Somewhere along age 5 you become self aware, aware of your suroundings and of who you are, because you know nothing outside of existence, some found it hard to accept that once you die, that's it, and came up with the idea of an inmortal soul , later some people came up with ideas to exploit other people by promising rewards in the afterlife, but thats beside the point.

Anyway, if anything randomness would come from the events that happen during a lifetime.
Create a perfect duplicate of yourself.
Kill the original.
You're no longer alive. A soul?
Quote:Original post by DaWanderer
If this were true, shouldn't there be more order to the "randomness field", since its primary function is to control living beings?

Well, order and chaos are relative concepts.
For example, if you 'listen' to a radio station (the electromagnetic field) using some improper device (wrong modulation, sampling rate, etc.) then you get noise. If you listen to it with a proper device (normal radio) you get a radio station.
As the mechanism to control the living beings eludes us, we can't really know what's order and what's chaos. We can't even tap into that field and measure it properly.

Ghosts tend to be one of those things people dont beleve in until they encounter them or something so unexplained you end up at that being the only explaination.

I've got at least one thing which no one has been able to explain yet [grin]

Anyways, Raduprv, for what its worth I'd been considering the same basic idea some time back, that our 'soul' is energy which extends beyond the 4 dimentions we are forced to work in.
Infact, I think I neatly wrapped yp preminitions, fate and ghosts with it... shame I forgot it all when I went to sleep, heh
Quote:Original post by Raduprv

Hmmm, right, that wasn't properly oriented toward the discussion you were aiming for I guess.
My opinion was that, this dicussion was pointless / made no sense in the first place.

Well, ignore me if you don't care about it then.
Quote:Original post by GroZZleR
Create a perfect duplicate of yourself.
Kill the original.
You're no longer alive. A soul?

You are no longer alive (the original) put it is possible that you will live through the copy.
Anyway, it's impossible to create an EXACT copy of someone, down to the last single elementary particle.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement