I'm new and I hope to become a computer and/or video game creater, designer etc.

Started by
29 comments, last by Samantha aka Lilly 18 years, 10 months ago
But I don't know where to start. I hope to start by making a game just for fun, but I can't find a good supporting website and a basic graphics helper thingy (I still don't know where to find,let alone make graphics)! Well I could also use some tips and some future support! Thanks everyone for listening to me!
Advertisement
Start Here
For 2d stuff, you can get the Gimp for free, and for 3d you can get Blender, but I don't think you should be worrying to much about graphics yet. Learn a programming language first (if you want to make games).
Usefull Links:__________________________________________________________________|GameDev.net FAQ|2d Game Tutorials|Nehe's OpenGL Tutorials||Cpp-Home.com|
if you are a high school student you can get most of the programs for cheap, thru my school im getting Visual Studio, and windows(pro) for 25$, so make sure you check.
-Matt S.
There are lots of different ways to help design video games. Which one? Programmers get the most credit though. I recommend C++, because

a) Most, in fact, almost all professional games are made using it
b) It really isn't that hard to learn as a first language (I did)
c) You will have the knowledge that you will be able to apply what you are learning directly to your planned career. It is certainly a morale boost.

Yes, it does 3d, sound, any anything you need - but you will learn how that works later.

If you want to learn C++, then get dev-cpp, a free IDE for creating and compiling C++ programs. Or, if you have deeper pockets, invest in Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0.

Good luck! And say goodbye to your personal life and sanity if you continue to post anywhere on this site, which is a great, if quirky, resource :)
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
Actually, Microsoft's Visual Studio 6.0 is a horrible program compared to what's out there (even compared to Microsoft's newer products). I know through my school I got a free copy of Visual Studio 2003, but even better for you - Microsoft has released their Beta of Visual Studio 2005 from their website. It's not a huge download, and it's certainly more refined than version 6.

However, "design" is a pretty vague term. If you want to think up the monsters and the storylines and how the action will take place, etc, then only a small amount of programming experience will be necessary; other skills such as professional communication will be a higher priority.

If you want to program games professionally, then I too suggest c++, but it's not an easy language compared to otherse like Visual Basic. However, it's certainly not impossible, and I suggest you learn it. Find a good resource though.
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]
Thank you everyone! But is there a program before I learn C++ (and others)? If there is can you tell me. So how do i find out if my school will pay (or reduce the costs) of those software etc. Please tell me! Thanks everyone!
Hi Lilly,

It really depends on what your goals are. If you want to go hardcore into game programming as a possible career, then I agree with silverphyre673 about learning c++. However, I'm sensing that you're looking for something a bit less challenging to dabble in, so I suggest maybe looking at Blitz3D http://www.blitzbasic.com

You're not going to write the next Halflife 2 with it, but you can create some quality 2D and 3D games with it, and there's really good community support. The language is BASIC based which is generally a very easy syntax for beginners to learn, and you can easily have a 3D scene setup in minutes (literally, the first couple of tutorials are something like 30 lines and have some basic 3D objects with lighting floating on the screen).

There are other game development sources out there like DarkBasic and the like, but I can tell you that I've worked with Blitz3D, and it's a solid tool.

Hope it helps :)
Thanks Tense! I'll check it out!
Ok thanks... but I need it free!
A lot of respectable people on this site with lots of experience have respect for the python programming language. So you might as well check it out if you haven't already.

Python Website

And for 2-dimensional graphics, which is where I'm assuming you are going to start, you can check out Pygame.

Pygame Website

Boder Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement