I'm new and I hope to become a computer and/or video game creater, designer etc.

Started by
29 comments, last by Samantha aka Lilly 18 years, 10 months ago
........thanks boder
Advertisement
k thanks everyone, but for right this second, one more questions. To those who are in school, can you tell me how to find out if my school will either have it free (or lower the price) of the graphics? Thanks!
Quote:Original post by Lilly Pendragon
k thanks everyone, but for right this second, one more questions. To those who are in school, can you tell me how to find out if my school will either have it free (or lower the price) of the graphics? Thanks!
Gimp is free, pixia is free.

Quote:Original post by silverphyre673
Programmers get the most credit though.

We do? :O

The only programmer I ever heard of is John Carmack. There's a Tim something from Id too that's a bit famous, kinda.

But game designers... They are the people that even get their names on the boxes! John Romero (yeah stop laughing :P), Sid Meyer, Will Wright, Peter Molyneux, etc.

Artists? hmm.. Musicians? ehm.. They're probably the least rated somehow?

Well to the OP. Start with some gamemaker. Heck you can start with Blender 3D and make a ball there and a game out of it. Blender has a click & play game engine. You should probably start with something like that just to get the "how hard is it" down. Then you can program in Python against Blender. Or go over to Blitz/Dark Basic. I'd go with C++ and SDL, but that's me and I have 5+ years of C++ experience. So if you're completely new start making games, not tech (although I feel that I'm gonna get flamed by all the reinvent-the-wheel-groupies).
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Thanks everyone! Does Blitz/Dark basic and/or Blender cost anything? Anyway please answer and thanks for checking out this thread!
Blender is free! Blitz and Dark Basic both cost, but they might have trial versions or demos.
ok thanks everyone if you guys learn of something interesting for a beginner, can you tell me, ok?
Personally i've seen dark-basic, and it's horrible. It teaches a large amount of bad habits... if possible aviod.

However if you want an easy quick fix you can probabally get a copy of pro for about £40 last time I heared.

This could be me not liking basic though, but I don't want to get drawn into that. They use Dark-Basic to teach the first year games students at my uni (No-one knows why as they intend to be professional one-day, supposedly...)

I agree with silverphyre673 on the C++ aspect, if you want to make high grade games this path will be more difficult, but also more rewarding personally.

It could be worth reviewing what you hope to achieve, and then choose your language path accordingly.

All the best with getting started,

Regards,
Add
"The FFT - an algorithm the whole family can use" ... and for my next joke...
Quote:Original post by Seriema
Artists? hmm.. Musicians? ehm.. They're probably the least rated somehow?

I think the only video game musician's name that pops into my head is Nobuo Uematsu. He did the music for the Final Fantasy games.

Game designers get their name on all the titles, so they are more well known. If it is at all possible, I would like to promote myself from programmer to game designer (after I promote myself from student to programmer :)
Wasn't Sid Meyer a coder first?
(Off topic, just on general interest...)

Cheers,
Add
"The FFT - an algorithm the whole family can use" ... and for my next joke...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement