• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

At what point is the Mem Usage too high?

This topic is 4707 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Right now I'm getting about 61,100k and my second demo could hit 200,000k at times. I was just wondering, when is it too high? Call of duty uses 302,102k but I'm guess that's why the demo came with my new gfx card. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
When your game can't fit on the ram anymore and the OS is forced to perform some paging. You'll notice few hick ups as the Harddrive is being accessed to write and read page frames.
I guess 200 meg is a bit too high for a demo, mind sharing a link?

Or at least it did go to 200 until I fixed the memory leak. Well if nobody said anything before, the 100 range can't be too bad.

It depends on what you are doing, how much geometry and textures you have and stuff like that. My quideline is, use as little memory as you possible, but no less.

I'm doing a 2d game and I'm storing all my sprites as textures. I guess I could copy the textures if I didn't have to load the image several times for editing such as color replacement.

I'm using a reference counting system which loads and unloads textures dynamically as they are required onscreen. Otherwise, the game keeps as much loaded as possible in memory. Of course, this is a sprite engine, and I am using groups of sprites on single textures; a single texture has potentially many references at any given time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement