• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

VBO and glPolygonMode

This topic is 4735 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've a problem with VBOs and glPolygonMode. I have a model that contains nearly 8000 texture coordinated, colored faces with normals. It produces above 80 fps on my machine with VBOs when I use GL_FILL. But when I switch PolygonMode to GL_LINE rendering takes about 4-5 secs per frame. If I disable VBOs and use Vertex Arrays it runs at 80 fps with GL_FILL and 40 with GL_LINE. I' ve heard somewhere that line mode is slower but 4-5 seconds rendering time is not normal. I' ve also heard that line mode is implemented by software. Is this true? Does this mean that there's no point about using VBOs when polygon mode is GL_LINE?

Advertisement
I believe this behavior is due to the fact that, whilst using GL_LINE, early z-fail doesn't get a chance to kick in because all of your polygons are 'see thru'.

No, I don't think GL_LINE is pushed into software mode :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!