Easiest to use free 3D modeller?

Started by
11 comments, last by mrbastard 18 years, 10 months ago
I've heard a lot of good stuff about both Milkshape and Blender. Are there others too? What I'm after, being a complete beginner at 3D modelling, is the one free package that will get me going in making 3D models. Which one would you recommend as the easiest free 3D modelling software out there?
JRA GameDev Website//Bad Maniac
Advertisement
Milkshape is the easiest. Blender is a large step up from Blender, but it's considerably more advanced and still free. Milkshape is the ideal program to start out with.
Quote:Original post by Rebooted
Milkshape is the easiest. Blender is a large step up from Blender, but it's considerably more advanced and still free. Milkshape is the ideal program to start out with.

Except Milkshape isn't free... :P
However, it is a good buy for about 20 USD last I checked. I bought a serial about 3 years ago, and I've been using it ever since. Its the easiest editor I've used, plus its got tons of different plugins :D

Another free 3d editor it Wings3d --> http://www.wings3d.com/
I would recommend going through some of the tutorials before trying to tackle this one. Unfortantly it doesn't allow for any skeleton animations.

Finally there is Delgine --> http://www.delgine.com/
I've unfortantly never used it, so I can't say much about other then it looks more like a world builder then a 3d modeler. That is to say its in 3d, but i don't think want to be build character meshes with it. :)
If you are complete beginner, I'd suggest going with blender. It has somewhat deeper learning curve than others, but is much more powerful once you reach more advanced level. With other free programs you eventually have to switch to commercial programs (or blender).
The only caveat was (last time I checked) that it lacked input/output filters for many popular formats.
Hi,

although Blender is far from being the easiest modeller (2.37 just came out a few days ago, introducing transform widgets which is quite a revolution for new users ^^) I would recommend it.

For all the reasons mentioned before (more powerfull, skinning, bones, etc.) AND the scripting API which use Python as a language is really well integrated and easy to use, so you can write any exporter / importer / tool you want quite easily. And there are already a dozen of importers / exporters included in the Blender distribution (.x, .obj, .dxf, etc.)
Anim8or is supposedly really easy to use. It has a bunch of features and the creator responds to specific email queries (he's a real nice guy). I'd look into that. I've only played around with Blender for a little bit, but it seemed very counter-intuitive. Still, supposedly once you get used to it it's super easy to use. I'd check out one of those.

Milkshape is also popular, but it isn't free, is it? I thought it was something like $25, which is of course nothing compared to Maya or 3DS Max.
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Blender is free and very powerful. It might not be easy to use at first because of its unusual interface, but once you've read a tutorial about it and taken a few minutes to get used to it, you'll notice how powerful it really is.
I'm checking out Blender, the counter intuitive interface actually reminds me a bit of UnrealED, wich I've used a bunch and found incredibly intuitive ;) , so I think Blender will be my choice. Thank you all for your replies.
JRA GameDev Website//Bad Maniac
I know this thread is probably already dead, but Milkshape 3D is usable for commercial games, correct?
If the models are well made, I mean.
Quote:Original post by kodeninja
Except Milkshape isn't free... :P

Ah thats a good point.. oops. Blender is the best option open to you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement