• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
shishio

C++ book that goes into lots of detail

This topic is 4891 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've taken a few programming classes in a lot of different languages. I know C the best. The thing is I don't really know much about the gore details of C as I was sheltered from them in my courses. I was hoping someone could recommend me a book that goes into the meticulous details. I'm looking for some kind of full unabridged, unedited, uncut, raw dictionary of C/C++. I'm not really looking for a book that teaches programming concepts and algorithms. Thanks for your time........

Advertisement
A year ago, I was looking for the exact same book..

Then I found The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup "the creator of C++", and I love that book. I find it to be a very good reference for the language, and even after working with C++ for four years I still found learned tons of things I hadn't known before.

Stroustrup goes into quite a bit of detail about the language, including explaining some of the decisions they made about it's syntax. If you're looking for a hard-core reference with good insight into the language, then I highly recommend it.

Amazon.com's got a few good reader reviews too. (the link above goes to the Amazon book listing)

Depends on exactly how far do you want to go, with C++ it can get quite deep [smile], by the way i treat C and C++ as distinct.

C Stuff:

The C Programming Language, Second Edition by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie. by the creator of C, "The" bible what more can i say [smile].

The offical C99 standard - your language lawyer.

standard C++ stuff:

The C++ Programming Language Special Edition by Bjarne Stroustrup - by the creator of C++, "The" bible again to start with (assumes programming experience, what your looking for trust me).

Standard C++ IOStreams and Locales: Advanced Programmer's Guide and Reference Angelika Langer & Klaus Kreft "The" bibile on the I/O streams & locales, learn what virtually no average C++ programmer knows about.

The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference by Nicolai M. Josuttis - I haven't read this myself as i learn't the standard library some where else, but its mean't to be good and you will need to learn the C++ library and learn it from the beginning trust me.

The offical C++ standard 2003 Technical Corrigendum 1 (TC1) - your language lawyer.

What your mother never told you about C++:

All or any of C++ In-Depth Series Books - addison wesley professional.

Ones that will open up your mind:

Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied By Andrei Alexandrescu - really get this you wont regret it.

C++ Template Metaprogramming: Concepts, Tools, and Techniques from Boost and Beyond By David Abrahams, Aleksey Gurtovoy - become bold [smile].

notable mentions:

Accelerated C++ Practical Programming by Example by Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo - learn C++ the wright way using the standard library first.

Imperfect C++ by Matthew Wilson - ravings of a mad man and hair-shirt programming, what more can i say its different thats for sure.

C++ Primer (4th Edition) by Stanley B. Lippman, Josée Lajoie, Barbara E. Moo (not primer plus) - much better than most C++ beginners books.

[Edited by - snk_kid on June 2, 2005 10:17:49 AM]

Hey thanks for all the references guys. I'm going to go with: The C++ Programming Language for now. Thanks again...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!