C++ book that goes into lots of detail

Started by
2 comments, last by shishio 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I've taken a few programming classes in a lot of different languages. I know C the best. The thing is I don't really know much about the gore details of C as I was sheltered from them in my courses. I was hoping someone could recommend me a book that goes into the meticulous details. I'm looking for some kind of full unabridged, unedited, uncut, raw dictionary of C/C++. I'm not really looking for a book that teaches programming concepts and algorithms. Thanks for your time........
Advertisement
A year ago, I was looking for the exact same book..

Then I found The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup "the creator of C++", and I love that book. I find it to be a very good reference for the language, and even after working with C++ for four years I still found learned tons of things I hadn't known before.

Stroustrup goes into quite a bit of detail about the language, including explaining some of the decisions they made about it's syntax. If you're looking for a hard-core reference with good insight into the language, then I highly recommend it.

Amazon.com's got a few good reader reviews too. (the link above goes to the Amazon book listing)
Depends on exactly how far do you want to go, with C++ it can get quite deep [smile], by the way i treat C and C++ as distinct.

C Stuff:

The C Programming Language, Second Edition by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie. by the creator of C, "The" bible what more can i say [smile].

The offical C99 standard - your language lawyer.

standard C++ stuff:

The C++ Programming Language Special Edition by Bjarne Stroustrup - by the creator of C++, "The" bible again to start with (assumes programming experience, what your looking for trust me).

Standard C++ IOStreams and Locales: Advanced Programmer's Guide and Reference Angelika Langer & Klaus Kreft "The" bibile on the I/O streams & locales, learn what virtually no average C++ programmer knows about.

The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference by Nicolai M. Josuttis - I haven't read this myself as i learn't the standard library some where else, but its mean't to be good and you will need to learn the C++ library and learn it from the beginning trust me.

The offical C++ standard 2003 Technical Corrigendum 1 (TC1) - your language lawyer.

What your mother never told you about C++:

All or any of C++ In-Depth Series Books - addison wesley professional.

Ones that will open up your mind:

Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied By Andrei Alexandrescu - really get this you wont regret it.

C++ Template Metaprogramming: Concepts, Tools, and Techniques from Boost and Beyond By David Abrahams, Aleksey Gurtovoy - become bold [smile].

notable mentions:

Accelerated C++ Practical Programming by Example by Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo - learn C++ the wright way using the standard library first.

Imperfect C++ by Matthew Wilson - ravings of a mad man and hair-shirt programming, what more can i say its different thats for sure.

C++ Primer (4th Edition) by Stanley B. Lippman, Josée Lajoie, Barbara E. Moo (not primer plus) - much better than most C++ beginners books.

[Edited by - snk_kid on June 2, 2005 10:17:49 AM]
Hey thanks for all the references guys. I'm going to go with: The C++ Programming Language for now. Thanks again...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement