• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
roos

Game programming contests

This topic is 4824 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've been reading about Ludum Dare, a 48 hour game programming contest, and I'm interested in trying a contest like that... It'd be a good learning experience in getting things done efficiently, and also I'd be curious to test my growth as a programmer and how I stack up compared to other coders. This year's Ludum Dare is already over it seems, so I was wondering, do you guys know of any good contests that are held every year or every few months? So far the only one I know of is Ludum Dare. Also I guess NeHe has contests every once in a while.. Thanks, roos

Advertisement
The Allegro community has two regular contests, "Allegro Speedhack" and "TINS", which are similar in idea. These are both held more or less annually, although TINS2005 has been and gone (Allegro Speedhack has not yet been announced, but will probably be in July or August I think)

There are various random rules assigned at the beginning of the competition, which cover genre, theme, resources, or technical. They're normally fairly broad rules which can be interpreted many ways.

The competition lasts 72 hours - source code must be submitted and made public (Does not have to be "open source", just published source, which is not the same thing).

Most things are allowed, although other developers will judge the competition, and may need to recompile your entry, so using tools which not everyone has may affect your ranking.

Beware, looking at the previous entries, some are VERY good :)

There is no prize, it is just about having fun. Typically there are 10-30 completed entries (sometimes as many as 100 registered participants, many of whom don't even try to submit anything).

Entries should use Allegro and be written in C or C++ (I think)

Mark

Cool, thanks for the info. I don't know much about TINS but I've heard SpeedHack mentioned... Maybe I'll give it a shot :)

roos

TopCoder has contests all the time, although they're more general programming contests and not really related to games. www.topcoder.com me thinks....

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!