Hard edges, how do they work ?

Started by
5 comments, last by sit 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi ! I am trying to find out how hard edges work. I've been looking for theory all over the web but I can't find any. Someone told me he'd implement hard-edges into blender if I could find some good explanation how it works. Does anyone have a good link or something ? Thanks !
Advertisement
hi, if it's a question about Blender, it's definitely not the right place to ask it.
To get an answer, check http://www.blender3d.org/cms/About.30.0.html in the community section, you'll get a lot of links to websites with forums, tutorials where you'll find information ^^
It's not a Blender question.

Hard edges (you mean like the ones in Wings3D, right?) affect things in two ways:

One, they cause vertex normals to be isolated across the edge (so the vertices at each end of the edge do not have their normals averaged across the two faces sharing the edge).

Two, they prevent subdivison algorithms from modifying the edge, so that when the edge is subdivided all new vertices are locked into lying on the edge.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

My bad, I mis-read the question, sorry :(
Dunno if it's any help, but in some modelling packages, this (or at least the normals part superpig mentioned) is called "smoothing groups".
[size="1"]
this feature is often called "crease edge" in subdivision surfaces papers and literature.so try to use these words when googling..
(in case that your question was more about sub-d's than shading..)
Quote:Original post by jezeq
this feature is often called "crease edge" in subdivision surfaces papers and literature.so try to use these words when googling..
(in case that your question was more about sub-d's than shading..)

yes, but blender already has that feature... you can define creases for subdivision surfaces, but they don't show up on non-subdivided meshes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement