• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cmoney

Game Not Running on Other Systems

This topic is 4797 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I have made a simple 3D Pong game using Visual Studio 2005 (beta 2). It is written in C++ and uses DirectX 9 (for Input and Graphics). When I try to run this on a different computer (i.e. not the computer I build it on), it gives me this error: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. Can anyone help me on this?

Advertisement
You need to post more details:

What operating system is on the other machine? What version of directx is installed? Is that the only error message, doesn't it say anything about any dll's not being found? Are you doing a release build in visual studio? A debug build will need the debug dll's that only computers with visual studio will have.

Alan

The problem seems to be universal. I've tested it personally on XP, but I think the error also occurs on 2000. In all systems, DirectX 9 was used. However, the issue doesn't seem to be DirectX related. Yes, this is the only error message. It prints out that message box and immediately quits. These are Release builds, and as far as I can tell there are no DLL issues. The system I have used to build the project runs the game perfectly fine.

Frankly, this is all I can really say. The message is very general and doesn't explain at all what the problem is (hence, my confusion). I'm wondering if this is a common problem and maybe all I need is to change a linker setting, but I haven't found anything useful while searching the Internet. Any help is appreciated. I'm stumped.

Make sure you have all the necessary runtime DLLS installed on the user's computer. I don't know what they are called for VS 2005, but you can probably find a redistributable package somewhere on MSDN

I think you're right, moeron. But I can't find the redistributables. They are apparently not shipped with VS2005. All I can find are the merge modules, and I'd rather not go through the trouble of creating an installer for such a simple project. I'll keep looking though.

Try getting the .NET Framework 1.1 (I think its 1.1)...I believe that should have all the files you need in it. Its a pretty beefy download, like 20 some meg, you can find it on MSDN

[edit]
You can probably find the dlls you need on your computer. I would not recommend using them for distribution, but if its just for a friends computer or something its probably ok. Look for the following files in your system32 directory..

For 2003, these are the required files, the only difference should just be the postfix number, I dunno if it will be an 80, or a 72..

msvcp71.dll
msvcr71.dll

if you use mfc or atl
mfc71.dll
atl71.dll

if you are going to distribute this widely use the merge modules instead!

[/edit]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!