• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

bad flat textures

This topic is 4612 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
A lot of times "flat-looking" is a result of not enough contrast.

Check out these two tiled cave floors from Tsugumo's So You Want To Be A Pixel Artist? tutorial series (which I found in the stickies for this forum... good stuff in there).

The one on the right "pops" more and has more vitality due to its contrast. It actually goes to black in between the rocks, adding more depth.

These are pretty simple sprites, but you can apply this theory to textures in modern resolutions. If your texture looks too flat, think about where you can add highlights and shadows.

you can also burn and dodge various parts of your textures to give it a little more depth.

Quote:
Original post by videodragon20032003
Noez! No burning, no dodging! You get better results by hand picking the colors.

Ahem? What does burning or dodging have to do with having a decent color palette?

Skyfire - can you post some of your textures so we can give more constructive advice?

Hes right, photoshop techniques look no good in pixel games. Do it by hand, it looks tons better.

Quote:
Original post by d2king10
Hes right, photoshop techniques look no good in pixel games. Do it by hand, it looks tons better.

Until the OP clarifies otherwise, why would you assume he's only talking about pixelart/sprites when he broadly refers to "textures"?

Regardless, don't use burning or dodging. It's just not apealing to see, with the exception of the VERY bright highlight. I wasn't talking about pixelart, either.

Quote:
Original post by videodragon20032003
Regardless, don't use burning or dodging. It's just not apealing to see, with the exception of the VERY bright highlight. I wasn't talking about pixelart, either.

*ahem*..

I suppose you're not a photographer by any means, as burning and dodging are extremely common and useful tools when "developing" an image. The same photographic techniques can be applied to any ingame texture, photorealistic or not.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement