want to make a game, what should i do first.

Started by
3 comments, last by silverphyre673 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I do some programming in Visual Basic. I have already made quite a few 2d games and i want to do a 3d game as a project over the summer. i have been doing vb programming for about 2 years now and I just got finished reading a book on visual basic game programming with directx, so i believe i know what i need to for the most part to make this game. I want to make a game a little less advanced than the first doom, more like wolfenstein 3d, since this is my first 3d project. i want to make it multiplayer over the internet and have an instant action mode for playing by yourself. I would want to have a simple level editor with it too. So, where should i get started/what should i do first. thanks.
Advertisement
I've never made a 3d game so take this with a grain of salt.

this should give you a (very) rough idea of what order to do stuff in
list of tasks:
1. decide on a level format
2. be able to load a level
3. be able to render a level
4. be able to fly around a level
5. be able to fly around a level with collision detection
6. be able to run around a level
7. bots
8. net

For the level editor it would probably be best to use one of the ones already out there, like gtkradiant. This requires writing code to parse their format but will be easier in the long run.

If you've never worked in 3d before its gonna be a bumpy road. Its certainly possible though. Just out of curiosity, what version of vb do you use?(6 or .net?)
And have you ever done any winsock programming before?
i use vb6 and no i havent done any winsock programming before, but the book i read covers it very well, so i can goto it if i need help or i can come here if its not in the book. but im pretty sure i wont have many problems with the game programming, maybe a little with the internet programming, but i am not familiar with loading/saving any kind of file besides a text file. so i would need to know how to turn output from an editor i made, into a format that i could load in the game and be made into the 3d level.
It might be better to port one of your 2D games into a 3D environment, so you can use the 3D graphics syntax without having to come up with a whole new game. It won't look 3D, but it will be playable, and you will get a feel for how the syntax for DirectX works.
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement