Sign in to follow this  
kavitha

DDS texture size !!

kavitha    122
hello all, the advantage of dds files is its reduced size on disk or in memory too; i.e., won't it be compressed until it reaches down the graphics pipeline or it gets uncompressed while reading the file itself. i find the imageSize of a .dds file large enough similar to a fat .rgb file. appreciate your input. thanks, kavitha

paulble    349
Quote:
Original post by kavitha
hello all,

the advantage of dds files is its reduced size on disk or in memory too; i.e., won't it be compressed until it reaches down the graphics pipeline or it gets uncompressed while reading the file itself.

i find the imageSize of a .dds file large enough similar to a fat .rgb file.

appreciate your input.

thanks,

kavitha

dds file sizes are representative of the size of the data in memory -- i.e. they are effectively memory dumps of the image data of a texture. as such, the only compression used is that used by the texture format (dxtn, etc...).

DDS (DirectDrawSurface) files, as was mentioned, represent what the surface would look like in GPU memory.

A DDS file may contain A8R8G8B8 data, R5G6B5 data, or any other format. A DDS file in A8R8G8B8 format won't be compressed in the slightest. For compression you'll want to use one of the DXTn formats. These are smaller, lossy compressed, formats, which are often good enough.

A DDS file may also contain the entire mip chain pre computed. This is a minor speed gain for A8R8G8B8 formats, and a major speed gain for DXTn formats, saving the CPU from decompressing the original, shrinking, and compressing each level. Another gain is that you can use more advanced filtering methods to produce better mip levels instead of the guaranteed blurry default mip creation D3DX does.

A DDS file may also contain cube maps, containing the 6 faces, and their mipchains. Volume textures are another option.