Sign in to follow this  
Structure

special effects?

Structure    240
Hello there, Can anyone recommend good books / links for creating in game special effects such as plasma and fire without using shaders. (just an example im interested in anything with a wow factor) Im really interested in any neat effects that arnt immediately obvious with how they would be achieved. These are intended to run on handheld systems so very cpu intensive effects are out the window (but there is a bit to play with) So anyone got any aces up there sleeves? (sorry for the rather broad question) Edit: thought I should mention its for 3d [Edited by - Structure on June 2, 2005 5:38:15 PM]

Structure    240
Hi d000hg,

I had a look at that book, but its got far to much learn to program stuff in it, and most of the effects that are in it are well documented across the net, but that’s for the recommend.

Im really after some abstract demo scene type effects that I can apply in my game to give it an artistic edge.

An example of this would be using billboard mip mapping to create depth of field effects by simply blurring the smaller maps, etc

This is a difficult question to ask really as I don’t know what im looking for, but im interested in what people can come up with.