I need help learning everything!!!!!!

Started by
9 comments, last by MotionCoil 18 years, 10 months ago
I don't know anything about graphics, C++ etc. I could use some help for it all! I really need advice and good tutorial pages! Thanks to all of the people who have helped me out a bit! And thanks to everyone else!
Advertisement
maybe i'm just a hopeful person. I hoep to try my best in learning a game and how they work!
First, i would recommend the C++ tutorial at www.cplusplus.com to get
you started. Once you are familiar, i suggest you download NeHe's OpenGL
tutorial,
http://nehe.gamedev.net/counter.asp?file=files/resources/nehe_opengl_pdf.zip
. This should get you started in graphics programming.
Hi there,
Personally I'd recommend a big C++ beginners book (asuming you've decided on C++, it's demanding, but also rewarding and powerful), tutorials on the net are good, but a book tends to teach you more of the 'little things' that will come in handy later on in your programming life (To my experience), and in addition, you have a hard-copy to reference (although you could print the tutorials out).

I'd recommend tutorials to see if you're first fully interested, than if you are, books are the way forward. I can't really comment on a graphics API as i've not ventured far from Direct X, but I hear NeHe's OpenGL tutorials are second to none if you go down that path.

Hope you find what you're after, and good luck !!

Regards,
Add
"The FFT - an algorithm the whole family can use" ... and for my next joke...
Personally, I wouldn't recommend C++ for a first language. You might want to try Python, which is quite a bit easier. Also, I have a collection of various game development related links here.
Well, you could learn a language a bit more beginner-friendly. Or you could just say to hell with it and jump straight in on C/C++. It does save time if you jump in if you are quick to pick it up.
As has been stated- nehes tutorials are godlike for some of the basics and even advanced stuff. GameTutorial was good too until the owner decided to make a quick buck out of it (sorry, that wounds still raw[smile]).

I would recommend learning stuff about programming as, well, 'low down' as possible. The more you understand whats actually going on the easier it will be to pick up the more advanced stuff. It does take some time but you will understand every new subject inside out.

If you do decide to learn C++ don't be put off instantly like many people are- remember that C++ is a very powerful and very versatile language so it tends to get very complex very quickly and in that it can be very daunting to new comers. However it does get easier the more you practice. If you do start try and learn each subject as thoroughly as possible and visualise what is going on with the hardware and how its working then it will become easier far quicker.

I agree, get a good C++ book that goes into alot of detail but still keeps it clean and easy to understand- the Microsoft Press books are very good in my opinion (especially if you are using VC++) or SAMS are another good publisher. Also get a C++ reference bible- I have one and it really has become invaluable to keep by the rig.

Once you have the basics under your belt you may start to broaden your horizons. Try a few new APIs (Application Programming Interface) like winsock (if you wanna learn a bit about networking) or OpenGL/DirectX (as i'm sure you are desperate to get into).
Take this part very slowly as graphics can get quite intense. Again, don't be daunted by the size of graphics.
Again, get books- the inhouse Gamedev books (I think they are still published by Prima) are really good to get started with game dev.

Always keep in mind, a game is built on an engine and an engine is the merging of many different applications (Graphics, Sound, Scripting etc.) and each one is a program in itself. So don't dive straight in [wink]

Oh one last thing:
Programming is 5% fun, 30% monitor-beating and 65% debugging [wink]

Good luck and I'm sure the GDNet crew will always be more than happy to help out (just don't ask how to make the next uber-1337 MMORPG[smile])
But whats the question...WHATS THE QUESTION?!?!
MotionCoil: about GameTutorials. There's a site similar to it that you can find here. Similar idea, and it also has ray-tracing tutorials now! BTW it also has a forum that isn't particularly big now, but will probably grow. I would recommend checking that site out.

[Edited by - Oberon_Command on June 2, 2005 8:07:01 PM]
Doesn't that site make you pay like $2.50 for each tutorial? And I've heard their code isn't particularly great, either. Maybe it's worth it for the later, more advanced tutorials, but come on - $2.50 for a "Hello World" program? Give me a break. If you're going to learn C++, just get a book - it is great to have a reference. Sam's "Learn C++ in 21 days" worked for me, and Addison-Wesley generally published very good programming books. Lily - you might want to try that company, no matter what language you choose (I recommend C++, and you can search the beginner's section for several similar posts for the reason why).

Good luck!
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement