RPG Combat

Started by
2 comments, last by The Regent 18 years, 10 months ago
Ok, so I've finally decided to put off creating my own RPG engine until I get at least one made with one of those game maker thingies. It's gonna be either of these: RPGds or R-PG The first may be released first, but the second has a better look, IMO. But that's not really the point of my post... I'm trying to go for turn-based combat since I'm not a big fan of Diablo and the like. The question is, do I use a system like Final Fantasy or one like Betrayal at Krondor? What do you think is good with these types of combat? What don't you like? Thanks.
Advertisement
For some reason (I don't know why) the idea of sets of enemies lining up all nice and straight, dashing in, attacking one guy, then getting back into line kills every little bit of immersion I have.

I haven't played Betrayal, but FWIW, I'd much prefer something with facing, the ability to perform tactical reasoning, maybe even arc sweeps of weapons and a variety of offensive and defensive options. This will make up for the slower pace (I often pause games like Icewind Dale to issue commands anway). It would be nice if hitting someone from behind did more damage, and if I had to think about enemy movement rates, abilities and ranges on my turn.

If you do do this, vary pathfinding just a bit for the sake of surprise. Maybe an enemy DOESN'T take the shortest path, just to foul up my smug programmer reasoning skills. [smile]
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Yes giving your RPG some sense of tactics besides just attacks. For example, movement, I'm not saying that it has to be a turned base movement like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, but if you have just a couple spaces (18 at least) where your guys could move around in a mini battle field it would make the game much more intriguimg and enjoyable. If you include movement then there would be more tactics in the game i.e. attacking from behind does more damage, less chance of hitting if you attack from the front, etc. Just by adding something simple like that, you can turn you RPG from another Final Fantasy rip off to your very own masterpiece!
Thanks for the comments. Both of you have helped me out of my FF rut. ;) Now, I'm thinking about two combat ideas. They'll both be turn-based since I have a "thing" for it.

1. Something like Betrayal at Krondor / Betrayal in Antara. There is a grid on the screen with the player and his companions starting at the bottom and the enemies starting at the top. Each object moves one at a time with order being based on the speed attribute. Speed also determines how many squares you can move at a time. You can only move up, down, left, or right. For any object to flee it had to be in the starting row of its starting side. Facing changed, but I don't know if there were combat bonuses for attacking the back of an object.

2. A system like Fallout 1 or 2. A hex grid appears on the screen with the player and his companions starting wherever they were when combat started and the enemies also starting where they were when combat started. Each object moved one at a time with order and distance being determined by the agility attribute. You could move in any direction available on a hex grid; NW, N, NE, SE, S, SW. Fleeing was done by gaining distance between you and the enemies where you could then end combat and move freely. There were combat modifiers for range, injury, weapon, skill, and time of day.

The AI would be easier in option #1 since battle would take place in its own screen and pathfinding would be limited to the grid. Pathfinding for the other option would have to include buildings, NPCs, and terrain.

The way combat is initiated will figure heavily into this when I make a concrete decision on it. It's either gonna be random encounter type where you don't have to see an enemy during regular movement to enter combat, or it's gonna be one where you can see the enemy at all times. Then, I can expand on the basis of either #1 or #2.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement