About what a beginner should know

Started by
3 comments, last by lc_overlord 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi everyone, im a newbie programmer, so i want to ask, what things should i know to start working with OpenGL I've seen Nehe's OpenGl tutorial and I quite understand them, but there's one thing i cant figure out. Which is the order of execution of a code like the ones in the tutorials? I've seen some C++ code and it should include a MAIN, and all the other things are just functions, but in wich order do they execute? Please answer so I can have a general look of what I'm lacking to start doing things Thanx!
Advertisement
The only function that runs by default is the main function (main is a function also), the main function can call other functions (every function can call other functions).
Hey,
Are you comfortable with c++ and know some concepts in graphics?
Just reading some c++ code won't help. You must know the basics. You can pick up any introductory book or go through a tutorial.
Do spend some time with general computer grahics concepts before starting with OpenGL.

If you start OpenGL directly, then you may be thrilled at your initial success, but your further advancement will be slow.

All the best.
Have look around the program you are using to view and ompile the code (ie MSVC, DevC++ whatever) and look for debug options. Look for an option to "step into" the code (or similar).

This will take you one line of code at a time through the program.

That way you can follow the execution of the code.

If will start with the main() function as that is where the operating system begins execution.

I actually think starting with OpenGL C++ was a really good way to start out. It kept me motivated and I've programmed purely as a hobby ever since. A book like Herb Schildt's C++ Reference may help you out. Head to your local library and grab as many books on C/C++ as you can.
--- Terrorists deserve nothing but a painful death ---
I would recomend you to get a good book.
Like "Computer graphics using openGL" (http://cwx.prenhall.com/bookbind/pubbooks/hill4/).
or "opengl game programing" witch is featured on the NeHe front page.

other than that just start coding stuff, practice makes perfect.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement