Sign in to follow this  
guyaton

want to learn COM. need tutorial

guyaton    130
Does anyone know where I can get an online tutorial for COM programming? My goal is to do some programming in C++ and eventually be able to use it in VB.NET. Would appriciate any help. Thanks, guyaton

Nivelo    122
Hi,

Search Microsoft.com for Dr GUI and COM - very friendly articles on COM and ATL.

Also there are a stack of COM tutorials on Microsofts site - Some are very good. There is an article called something like "C++ to COM" and it describes how you can create COM-like behaviour through C++ without COM. This gives an insight into how and why COM works like it does.

Have a look at that and, if you need more specific links then I have theses at home, post back here and I will try and locate them for you...

Andy

guyaton    130
I would like the other sites. I am new to programming COM and need all the tutorials I can get. Thanks for your help.

guyaton

Nivelo    122
Hi,

C++ to COM link : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dncomg/html/msdn_cpptocom.asp

There are lots of different DR Gui COM articles and so it will be best to search for this on MS's site.

The book I used was Inside DCOM from Microsoft Press, don't know if it's still available. Pretty good book, not the easiest to read though.

Andy

Quote:
Original post by guyaton
I would like the other sites. I am new to programming COM and need all the tutorials I can get. Thanks for your help.

guyaton

I'm clearly an absolute beginner when it comes to using the web, but today I found a great site which can help you. It is called google and contains a lot of other web site, some of them deal with COM/DCOM: http://www.google.com/search?q=COM%2FDCOM

HTH,

guyaton    130
while alot of these sites are helpful, they don't really discuss the programming side of the COM. This is the side that is most useful, since I have been reading up on COM thanks to all the links. I've seen some stuff dealing with the interface, __interface operators, as well as a macro called DEFINE_INTERFACE or something like that. How do I integrate them into COM. I understand that with COM you have to create an interface and then the code behind it, but how to I make it portable to say Visual Basic?

thanks for the help.

guyaton