**SDL GUI **

Started by
5 comments, last by Mr Grinch 18 years, 10 months ago
well i have used the win API, GLUT, GUI and now i want to use something that looks different, something that is flexible and cross platform, i have heard good things about SDL and i have seen screenshots of some cool GUI's using SDL so i thought i would give it a shot. i would be looking for beginners tuts using and setting up SDL and something that explains callbacks. i know what callbacks are and what they do but dont understand it thoroughly. yes i could google i just thought i would ask if anyone has any recommendations...thanks in advance!
heh
Advertisement
For tutorials, just head on over to SDL's home page and look at all the great tutorials. SDL is very simple to use; you will be up and running in no time. SDL does not have a concept of "GUI". It is just a low level library that gives you access to hardware (video, audio, input, etc) and there are also some standard SDL libraries for networking and threads. What kind of GUI are you talking about here? Do you mean "Windows" style dialogs and buttons? wxWidgets is a cross platform library that will do that. If you mean "in game" type GUIs, check out Crazy Eddie's GUI.
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
thanks codemunkie.. well here is a screenshot of something i would like to do.. not this exactly but something like it..

SDL GUI

so checkboxes(with checks), listboxes, radio buttons, etc etc. a cool interface like at that link.

i got that off the nehe front page -- i am assuming by what i read and everything that that is SDL.

i will also check out wxWidgets.. thanks again munkie and let me know what ya think or anyone else that reads this.. :)
heh
For the type of GUI in those screenshots you posted, you should look into Crazy Eddie's (link in previous post). wxWidgets is for system GUIs (think Windows style dialogs, buttons, etc.).
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
yeah i am awaiting for some tuts to come out on his site which he says are coming soon, i think CE GUI is the way to go ... thanks munkie :)

btw are you a code munkie for real? :)
heh
I learned SDL at http://cone3d.gamedev.net
but I warn you. There are no functions for in program windows or text or anything like that. All you have is multimedia, surfaces to blit, and what not. Think of it as your own pieces of paper putting on abigger piece of paper(the screen). it's not like .NET where u get a fancy window form, u'd have to program it urself. As for text, u could get SDL_ttf and make text that way.
I'm not sure if this will help, but I thought maybe you'd want to check out Guichan. We're using it in a project I'm working on (Crown and Cutlass) and have been pleased so far. It's a really young project, but very lightweight and game-oriented. I think that if nothing else, it deserves a mention here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement