Sign in to follow this  
Reddan

how much do i need to do? and-

Reddan    122
ok for the last year or so i've been working on a world that can be used for all sorts of game... But it's my first ever idea. i've started work on ways to make an RTS out of it but i don't know how much i need to do before it's good enough to, well, sell it! i need to eat just like everybody else! and even when i've done enough.. how do i sell it really i have no idea! sorry i haven't said much but that really does show how little i know. [Edited by - Reddan on June 3, 2005 9:58:55 AM]

Squirm    481
A "world" ?

There are such a lot of ways to interpret that word that I have no idea how to answer your question.

You won't be able to sell anything which a possible customer cannot see, so I suggest you make something (even if it is just a bunch of words and some screenshots) which we can look at as though it was marketing material, and explain why we would or wouldn't want to pay for it. Post a link to a screenshot. If it isn't something for which a screenshot is appropriate, post a couple of paragraphs about it instead.

Reddan    122
a world as in... a place which i can build up off. on the screenshots front, if i made a render of a scene from the RTS it could put off any potential buyers unless it's a good render. unfortunately for me i'm quite new to programming, i'm pretty much just thousands of ideas and words.

darookie    1441
Ideas are a penny a dozen...
Start to bring your ideas to life if you're serious about them by putting work or money into one of them. So you have this "idea" - step one: flesh it out and visualise it. Write a short story or a novella around it. Setup rules for a game that incorporates it and detail these rules. Make a simple card board version of it and present it on a website. Bad at web-design? Try to find someone who's good at it by getting him interested in your idea.
*sigh* There are a thousand ways to actually start making something out of an idea, but the first step always is to actually start.
Think about what you want to achieve (e.g. an RTS) and get busy finding out what you'll need to know/do.
Know your own skills and abilities and build some up if you find you are lacking them [smile]. Do as much work up-front as possible since this will show potential team members that you#re serious about it. Live your idea. Stand up with it, stand up for it and be the idea. The rest will follow if the diea is actually good [wink].

HTH,
Pat.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
thanks thats exactly what i needed to know! i've printed that out and i'm going to do exactly as it says. i already have developed the idea as far as writing a short story on it so pretty soon i'm going to work on that next part... a cardboard version, exactly what do you mean?

darookie    1441
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
a cardboard version, exactly what do you mean?

Well, if it's a game you need to make sure the mechanics and rules are sound and work. Without producing a prototype or deploying formal methods, an easy way to find out and do adjustments is making a spimplified "analog" version of the game. Randomness by using a dice, units can be cards that contain their basic values and a cardboard can be the playing field (and take your time detailing it, e.g. assign values to its "fields" by painting them like water or writing movement numbers on it or something).
Sometimes this approach is not feasible, but you can at least play with the numbers (e.g. simulate battle) to verify the rules.

Cheers,
Pat

Reddan    122
oh i see how that would work. that would help make the game fairer too, for an rts it should be possible. thanks for your help i'm eager to get started!