Game size

Started by
6 comments, last by TraderJack 18 years, 10 months ago
Gamedev, Many of you may know I am working on a sidescroller (may have seen it in my devjournal or at this thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=323172). Anyhow, it's nine levels long, origional art, with about 11 sound files. If you bought this game with a few good hours of gameplay in mind using PayPal for 10-20 bucks, how big would you want the maximum size of the file to be. Do you think trying to design the game within 10 mb is reasonable? -IV

-IVHumble Student

Advertisement
10 to 20 is a little more than I am willing to pay for an indy game. I would be aiming for similar prices that you see on phone games (4 to 9 US dollars).

As far as size goes: 10 mB should be fine. The size doesn't bother me as much since I got broadband.
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
I just figure price reflects quality in the eyes of the consumer. Maybe 10 dollars, but we're not anywhere near that stage yet. Do you really think 10 mb is feasible, though (I think that's really the question at hand).

-IV

-IVHumble Student

11 sound files really doesn't sound that much. Doesn't sound like a selling point...

Anyway, you should go into a Target or Best Buy, and look at the "Bargain" or "Platinum" shelves. You can get pretty decent games for $19 these days. Like, the Prince of Persia game from last year, or SimCity, or ...

Can your game compete in quality with those games? Then $20 is the right price.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
11 sound files really doesn't sound that much. Doesn't sound like a selling point...

Anyway, you should go into a Target or Best Buy, and look at the "Bargain" or "Platinum" shelves. You can get pretty decent games for $19 these days. Like, the Prince of Persia game from last year, or SimCity, or ...

Can your game compete in quality with those games? Then $20 is the right price.

You too, in fact. Go to any bargain store or used games retailer. Pick up a copy of Final Fantasy VII for $8.99. Can your game compete with this game? No, I don't mean to question your abilities, but let's just say for examples sake that it cannot. Does that mean you should charge dirt cheap for your hard work just because a multi-platinum game is selling at the same price as yours? I'm not so sure that this would be strategic marketing.

And did I advertise somewhere that our music is our selling point? If I did, I was mistaken.

-IV

-IVHumble Student

You might be better off selling the game for like $8. I think that would be the best price to maxamize sales. Selling for $10+ puts it into a price range in which your game may be found unreasonable to purchase. Just my 2 cents though, hopes it helps.
Quote:Original post by Talonder
You might be better off selling the game for like $8. I think that would be the best price to maxamize sales. Selling for $10+ puts it into a price range in which your game may be found unreasonable to purchase. Just my 2 cents though, hopes it helps.

Alright, 10 dollars or slightly less does sound more reasonable, true. But, uh, what about the origional question?

-IV

-IVHumble Student

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement