• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xpl1c1t

OpenGL packaging an opengl app so that others can run it

This topic is 4942 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've just started using opengl and am loving it. I created this basic cube animation that I'd like to share with a friend. I'm using VC++ 7 and have tried a number of options to package it. First I Build->Solution, then I zipped the "Release" folder, and I even included the "mscoree.dll" inside. Not only can my friend not run it, but no one that I've sent it to can, even when they stick the mscoree.dll into their c:\windows\system32 folder. Please help! I have searched all over for documentation on how to package it for a release and have found next to nothing. thank you, Alex

Advertisement
Well if you've got data, the release directory isn't where vc++ looks when executing from the IDE. You may need that. Beside that, make sure they have the visual c++ runtimes, something like msvcrtsomething.dll.

i'm just trying to share the finished app with them, not have them work on it. I found the msvcp71.dll (c++ runtime library). should this just be in the same folder as the exe?

More importantly, why isn't this topic a FAQ? it seems like i'm the only one in the world doing this, or maybe the only one who hasn't figured it out.

Alex

Sorry to respond so late. I've been busy. [smile]

Anyway, when Windows XP was released, visual c++ 7.1 wasn't released, so you're going to need to supply it for those who want to run the application. When applications are run that need to use DLLs, the first place the application checks is the current working directory. You can stuff all the DLLs you need to ship with in there.

There should be a specific error from the computer that's running it about a DLL missing if there is, in fact, a DLL missing. These should help you detect the error. So, either tell your friend to type out the dialog's message verbatim, or just screenshot it.

The other possibility is that there is some game data missing for your game. If that's the case, then just put the game data in the same directory as the executable.

edit: After googling mscoree.dll, I get this. Is it possible that's the problem?

thank you, you touched on a lot of valuable information. the missing dlls seems to be my best chance. I don't think the link had any significance to my knowledge.

thanks again,
Alex

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!