• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
obi-wan shinobi

Collision detection in Win32/GDI

This topic is 4824 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The following code is placed in a Window Procedure so that when holding down either 'w','a','s',or 'd', the RECT 'now' will be moved. The RECT 'bound' is the rectangle that tests for collison detection. The 4 integers are to determine whether the movable RECT 'now' should be allowed to go in a certain direction. The + or - is so that the movable object can hang over the edge by a certain number of pixels without falling off, so to speak.
case WM_CHAR: 
		{
			int up=0,down=0,left=0,right=0;
			char vkey = (TCHAR)wparam;
			if(now.top==bound.bottom && now.left>=bound.left-12 && now.right<=bound.right+12)	
				{	up=1;	}
			if(now.bottom==bound.top && now.left>=bound.left-12 && now.right<=bound.right+12)	
				{	down=1;	}
			if(now.right==bound.left && now.top<=bound.top+16 && now.bottom>=bound.bottom-16)		
				{	right=1;}
			if(now.left==bound.right && now.top<=bound.top+16 && now.bottom>=bound.bottom-16)		
				{	left=1;	}
			switch(vkey)
			{
			case 'w':	{	if(up==0)	y--;	break;	}
			case 'a':	{	if(left==0)	x--;	break;	}
			case 's':	{	if(down==0)	y++;	break;	}
			case 'd':	{	if(right==0)    x++;    break;	}
			}
		} break;

I've tested the code and so far it works well. I had trouble trying to use IntersectRect(RECT,RECT,RECT) (and also heard that it has problems), so I made my own algorithm as seen above. Is this a good algorithm in terms of optimization, so that when I create a sprite class for a DirectDraw game, I can do collisions between two sprites, or are there problems I can't see?

Advertisement
The use of magic numbers is a negative, but in theory the code should work fine. Such a trivial bit of code is not worth messing around with optimizations unless your profiler shows you that it is a massive performance sink. (Hint: it isn't. Don't worry about optimizing something this tiny.)

Out of curiosity, what sort of problems did you have with IntersectRect? I've never heard of any trouble with it, and I know it's successfully used by a lot of reliable Win32 code. It doesn't do quite what you want as far as allowing overlap tolerance, but it's a highly reliable function.

Quote:
Original post by ApochPiQ
The use of magic numbers is a negative, but in theory the code should work fine.
Out of curiosity, what sort of problems did you have with IntersectRect?

I see about the magic numbers. In the future, I'll replace them with a 'width' and 'height' argument to pass into the function.

My problem with IntersectRect was not getting it to work. I know it took (LPRECT, CONST RECT, CONST RECT) for parameters, but the 'CONST RECT' was something that kept giving me such problems as "Unable to convert parameter 2 from x to y" in VC++6. I even tried to declare & initialize a CONST RECT in a function and I got an error saying "l-value denotes a constant". Also, I've noticed that members of RECT can't be initialized globally for some reason...

Quote:
Original post by obi-wan shinobi
My problem with IntersectRect was not getting it to work. I know it took (LPRECT, CONST RECT, CONST RECT) for parameters, but the 'CONST RECT' was something that kept giving me such problems as "Unable to convert parameter 2 from x to y" in VC++6. I even tried to declare & initialize a CONST RECT in a function and I got an error saying "l-value denotes a constant". Also, I've noticed that members of RECT can't be initialized globally for some reason...

You have the parameters incorrect. The second and third parameters are not CONST RECT but rather CONST RECT *. You can pass the address of a RECT and it will work fine.

For example this should work fine

RECT a, b, c;
a.left = 0;
a.top = 0;
a.right = 10;
a.bottom = 10;
b.left = 5;
b.top = 5;
b.right = 15;
b.bottom = 15;

IntersectRect(&c, &a, &b);

Just a little side note: You can shorten your code for initializing the rectangles this way:
RECT a={0,0,10,10}, b={5,5,15,15}, c;
//And if you need to change all of the points later in your code:
BOOL SetRect(LPRECT,long,long,long,long);

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!