[.net] This?

Started by
5 comments, last by Kincaid 18 years, 10 months ago
I feel a little stupid posting this here, but I can't seem to find out what the "this" statement does in c++; Can anyone tell me ?? Thanx in advance
Advertisement
this is a pointer to the instance of the class it's used in.

EDIT: Also, what does this have to do with .NET?
[edit] Wow I totally misread this topic. It's too early anyway! =)
this is a pointer to class object. For example:

Class Foo {
int a;
int b;
int c;

Foo(int a);
~Foo();
}

Foo::Foo(int a) {
this->a = 0;
this->b = a;
this->c = this->a;
}

The Foo constructor initializes its members a to 0, b to the value passed to it and c to 0. Hope the above helps.

'this' is a language keyword that resolves to the pointer of the current object. It is espeecially useful when resolving variables that have name collisions. Example:

class Foo{   private:      int value;   public:      void ChangeValue( int value );};void Foo::Changevalue( int value ){   //value = value; <-- Which 'value' is assigned to which?   // In the above, the function local scope takes precedence. So you're   // only manipulating (pointlessly) the function parameter.   this->value = value;   // By using the 'this' reference, you specifically resolve to use the   // class member and assign it the value of the incoming parameter.}

Note however that the above example *SHOULD* not happen in real scenarios because variable names should be decided carefully to avoid ambiguous clashes.
- To learn, we share... Give some to take some -
Using this-> is pretty much redundant, unless you're using it to resolve ambiguities. Although I think that resolving ambiguities is done better by using different variable names to the class member names. e.g. appending m_ to the member variable name.

However using *this is often very useful. e.g.
	inline bool operator > (const ubigint& q) const	{ return q < *this; }
In fact I don't think there is any other way to do what that does.

Oh, and if you've ever used Pascal or Delphi, it's the same thing as self.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
ok, thanx guys
very clear now :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement