You are hungry they are food

Started by
4 comments, last by superpig 18 years, 10 months ago
Prepare yourself for a more or less unorthodox game idea. I'm not about to implement the game, at least not at the time, but I thought the basic concept is interesting enough to build upon on the conceptual level. Zombies. You can't kill'em. If you chop off a hand, not only will the zombie go on, but the hand will live on its own existence as well. The only way of stopping them is to cut'em, chop'em, slice'em, and dice'em until they are in so many pieces that the individual pieces can't harm you. The zombies are after the people. The "why" is irrelevant to the zombies and people in question, they just want to survive in the world and kill off the other faction. This is just pure survival horror. Only this time you are the zombie. The game answeres some common questions: Ever wondered why zombies have a hard time moving about? And where does the free will of the dismembered limbs come from? Prepare yourself for the sickest game of the week: This is a multiplayer action game of skill and co-operation. In this game, each player takes control of a limb of the zombie. If you want the zombie to move, you'll have to co-operate with the other players of the same zombie. If your limb gets chopped off but is still intact enough in itself to survive in the world on its own, you can still continue to move about and attack. The players that are good enough (get enough kills or something like that) are rewarded with the capability to possess mortals after your limb is beyond its use, but in a limb-wise sense (think about Evil Dead 2 and Ash vs. his hand if you're unsure of what I'm talking about). You can use this skill only once and then you have to earn it again. What do you think? Any impovement ideas? Is it Game of the Year material or should I seek help? [lol] MMO, anyone? [grin]
Advertisement
Will never work!

With the amount of Leroys there are in the world someone will allways find it more entertaining to move a leg in a way that makes the zombie fall flat on his face then to actually go looking for humans.

Also, no one will want to be the left leg, the only use for it will be to walk and for support while the right leg kicks butt.

Also, if they're chopped off what happens?

I can this idea working much better with transformers!
I think grim was saying that if a limb gets hacked off, the player who was controlling that limb can now control it independantly of the body as if the limb were its own character (sort of).

You are so right about the leroys though.

Grim, it's a cool idea, but like many of the cool game ideas, it lends far too much credit to the intelligence and willingness to cooperate of the average user.
Yeah i know that's what he meant, but like you said, it's sort of a character. An arm, a leg, a torso? Are they just going to play like that to level up for a while? Or do they just wander around looking for a body to join?

He could instead use full zombies, that when together would form a huge one, that way if they were chopped up, there would still remain something resembling a character.

Still in full form there still would be two problems, leroys and useless body parts.

That's why i sugested transformers. You could just allow the owner of the head to control the body and the rest would have missiles, blades, etc attached to them and could play with that, maybe they could even transform to different body parts each time they assemble. Each body part would have a job to do, and if one of them was afk/idle/moron they could still go without him, because the head was in charge.

(God help us if some leroy got in charge of the head though [grin])
Definite thumbs up for creativity. But I do see a way of getting players to buy into the premise. Unless you can find a very silly angle, the avatar being controlled must suggest independent controlling entities, either in the form of something we don't know / can't know, or in something that's plausible. So the posts of a starship or galleon, or the parts of a Voltron-like character, those make sense. But the idea of the zombie being unified is a barrier (though does a great job in explaining why they move the way they do, unless you've seen 28 Days [wink])

There was a kid's game I seem to remember, years ago, where four kids controlled a sub, but each only controlled one direction. Again, semi-plausible context makes this work, as does audience.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Nice idea. Reminds me of one of my own.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement