Password Submission

Started by
12 comments, last by Inmate2993 18 years, 10 months ago
Another thing you should consider, if you want it to be secure, is avoidance of SQL injection. For example, suppose your login code does:

SELECT COUNT FROM Users WHERE Username='(typed)' AND Password=MD5('typed'))

and it logs you in using that, you have a major security issue. If I type in

Username: "some_real_user' --" (without the quotes)

then look at the happens to the SQL:

SELECT COUNT FROM Users WHERE Username='some_real_user' --' AND Password=MD5('typed'))

Anything after the '--' is commented out... so your thing becomes

SELECT COUNT FROM Users WHERE Username='some_real_user'

Uh oh...

What you should do, as a rule, is use Bind variables (or "prepared statements", in the Java world). The way it works is, you put placeholders into your SQL code as so:

SELECT COUNT FROM Users WHERE Username=:userName AND Password=:md5Passwd

(assuming your do your encryption on the client side...whatever)

then, in your code, you populate some data structure (strings or whatever you need in your sql) with what the user types. Then, you don't need to worry about checking for these things. As an added bonus, you only need to compile your SQL statements once, and then just re-use them with different bind variables.
Advertisement
Quote:You do realise than any checksum is bound to have collisions? Otherwise it's actually a compression alogorithm in disguise.

Allow me to retro-interject "will work without collisions for my purposes." My point about programmers in the same room is proven. :P

Quote:Original post by Replicon
Another thing you should consider, if you want it to be secure, is avoidance of SQL injection. For example, suppose your login code does:

Interesting, thank you. I'm only a basic SQL guy and this information is new and useful to me!

MD5 has been cracked, yes, but not in that they can use an MD5 checksum to get a list of viable passwords, but rather the time it takes to bruteforce a password that generates the same stored hash has been reduced enough that it can be done within a feasible length of time.

Anyways, what your system should do is store the IP address of who logged in (or their whois reverse lookup), and mark them as logged into the database, with a scheduled inactivity logout. That way, they can't be spoofed while they're in the system and between pages.

Also, for some serious security, extent the length of the passwords from 8 to 1024, and tell them that a passphrase is a better idea. The sheer length makes it much harder to crack.
william bubel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement