[web] Accessing the Client Side...

Started by
10 comments, last by igni ferroque 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I have recently been fiddling with some ASP.net and want to build like a nice kindof validation program using it. I would like to be able to modify files on the client side though. Is this possible? I know ASP is a server side programming language, so what I would I use for client side? Something powerful though where I could actually delete, create, and modify files on the client's side. I think this is possible, but what technology would I use? I'm sorry if I explained what I need bad, if I don't get any reply's I'll try to explain what i'm trying to do a little more ;-) Thanks everyone at GameDev.net ArchG
Advertisement
Just think about that for a few seconds. You visit a site, it sends back a result, and that result can freely create/delete/edit files on your computer. I mean just think about that, please.
Yeah, I thought about that part. I don't know a whole lot about this or anything, but I thought through certificates or activeX controls or somewhat, you could get permission to do something of that sort?
Or maybe if the site was a trusted site?

This application would be for a company that many employees would be using, so I thought if it was on the web, that would be easiest.

Sorry if this was a stupid idea..
You could design an ActiveX control, however not only would it only be IE compatible, you would be fighting an uphill battle to make it safe. Perhaps if I better understood what you are trying to do I could make a better suggestion.
Alright, well basically, we have a web server, and we have our work server...and have about 70,000 .htm documents that get uploaded from our work server to our web server everynight.

What i'm creating is somewhat of a link validator, that runs everynight and gets all the bad links, and the redirects, and puts the redirects into a search and replace field, and simply puts the bad links into a table..then when people come in in the morning all they have to do is hit correct, and it automatically fixes the redirects (the other errors still have to be fixed manualy).

At first I just thought, well i'll just make this app in C# or something, but then remembered last time i made an app in C#, what a pain it was getting it to work on all the computers, because of a big security policy thing. (had to go into the .net config tool and add a code group and a whole bunch of muble jumble)

Then I thought, well since the files are on the web server anyway...this program could just replace the files already on the web server (also getting rid of the need to upload everynight), and use something like ASP.net (but i didn't know if you could do that).

And my last thought was that maybe a web application or service could change the files on the client's network, that could be used on virtually any computer connected to the interent (instead of having like a million different versions and programs running around) but after your response, I feel like a fool for even asking about that.

So I guess my question is, what would be the best way to make the application?

1. Make a regular C++ or C# program and put it on the server

2. Make a web application that uses the files already on the web server (if this is possible)

3. Any other suggestions...
rsync. or some windows equivalent.
[size="1"]
I don't understand how your solution really helps my problem..from what it looks like is rsync is a file transfer open source program, that only updates the files that need to be updated, which looks like that would be great for uploading every night, but as with the link validator i'm trying to make, that doesn't really reveal a solution
But thank you for your response, I will definatly look into rsync for the uploading and syncing part.

ArchG
Sorry, I thought you had the checking part written and it was writing files on various clients that was the problem.
[size="1"]
Hang on... the first post implied you wanted to edit files on a local machine... and the clarification post implies you want to update files on a remote machine. I guess I still don't see exactly what you're trying to do.

And... 70,000 .htm documents? Can't you replace that with some sort of CMS?
Quote:What i'm creating is somewhat of a link validator, that runs everynight and gets all the bad links, and the redirects, and puts the redirects into a search and replace field, and simply puts the bad links into a table..then when people come in in the morning all they have to do is hit correct, and it automatically fixes the redirects (the other errors still have to be fixed manualy).

Why are there bad links (what causes them?), and where do these redirects come from?

If all you need is a tool to report broken links, there are a number of them out there (such as the W3C's Link Checker).
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement