my Visual Studio 6.0 doesn't always know what to compile

Started by
3 comments, last by persil 18 years, 10 months ago
I'm running VS6, and am finding that if I make a change to a header file, it isn't recompiling everything that depends on that header, and I'm forced to either do it manually or just rebuild all. I don't know if this was intentional, but shouldn't figuring it out be one of the minimum requirements to call an IDE functional? It should use its Jedi IntelliSense powers or something :-).
Advertisement
You must have 'fast but incomplete dependancy generation', or something like that, checked on. If it is off, any files including that header are recompiled in a compile. Look in the project options, I forget exactly where the option was located, sorry.
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
In VS6, it helps if the header files are added to the currently active project. This flags them manually as dependencies for the project and helps with the automatic rebuild process. Just be glad you're not using Xcode - it has absolutely no functioning dependency checking whatsoever.

AFAIK VS6 doesn't have a fast dependency check option.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I always add my header files to my project :). There was a "Enable minimal build" or something like that that I unchecked, but I don't think it's fullproof.
That behavior seems to be "standardized". In all IDEs I've tried, changing only a header's code won't trigger a recompile of that module. You must at least change something in the .cpp file, because a .h file isn't really something the compiler will see, it only compiles .cpp (.c) files.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement