Sign in to follow this  
Mythar

Making Waves ?

Hi all, I was tyring to expand my Terrain to include water movement. (HightMap style) I used the "The Water Effect Explained" article, but this makes the animation too "jerky" when using a Vertex Grid. Dose any have nice algorithm for a water grid ? (was kinda looking for some smoth rolling ocean waves)

Probably just animate the vertexes using a vertex shader add a slightly reflective surface, and wave like watery suface with with something like a pixel shader and then add in a sine/cosine like movement to the waves vertices themselfs. This should work I think rather nicely. [smile]

Quote:
Original post by DevLiquidKnight
Probably just animate the vertexes using a vertex shader add a slightly reflective surface, and wave like watery suface with with something like a pixel shader and then add in a sine/cosine like movement to the waves vertices themselfs. This should work I think rather nicely. [smile]

First I would like to get the movement going (I can add the other stuff later on) but Im not that strong in the math ...

a sample would be nice :)

well, i spend a few days looking at the links you posted and searched the web for wave equations, like the 2D wave equation FFT.
But as i wrote, im not strong in math, so looking at the equations in "Link4", i dont know, how to use them in code.

Dose anyone have a wave equation sample, that would create waves like the "Link2" demo ?
(I did mail the writer of the demo, but got no answer)

hmm.... depends on how realistic you want your waves to be. For example a simple regular wave moving along the x-axis would be y = sin(x+t) (A), where x is the x-coordinate of the vertex, and y is its height coordinate.
Another simple example:
y = sin(x² + z² +t) (B) would give you circular waves around the origin of your world, where x,y,z are the coordinates of the vertex.
In both examples t is some kind of time variable. Note also that x in (A) is the distance of the vertex from the origin along the x-axis, which is quite obvious. In (B) x² + z² is the squared distance of your vertex to the origin on the x-z-plane.

However those waves wouldn´t flatten, or do anything realistic waves would do.
If you don´t need realistic waves, I would simply look for some math pages, where you can look at some graphs of common functions, such as the log-function, sqrt-function, sin-, cos- and tan-function and so on. After you´ve seen the graphs you´ll have a rough clue about what that function is going to do, when your coordinates or anything get bigger. With that rough clue I would just experiment in EffectEdit or any other tool for .FX-Editing you like, I´m pretty sure you can come up with something looking good enough after some playing around. At least that´s the way I like to do it ;) Also multiplying the result with some noise in the range of 0.8 to 1.0 or something like that could add some nice effects.

For realistic waves you won´t get around some math and physics, I guess... never done it before, though.

Quote:
Original post by matches81
hmm.... depends on how realistic you want your waves to be. For example a simple regular wave moving along the x-axis would be y = sin(x+t) (A), where x is the x-coordinate of the vertex, and y is its height coordinate.
Another simple example:
y = sin(x² + z² +t) (B) would give you circular waves around the origin of your world, where x,y,z are the coordinates of the vertex.
In both examples t is some kind of time variable. Note also that x in (A) is the distance of the vertex from the origin along the x-axis, which is quite obvious. In (B) x² + z² is the squared distance of your vertex to the origin on the x-z-plane.
Yeah I'd try those first. If you get a realsitic shaped wave motion for open water you can then make it look pretty with reflections, shaders etc before putting in a more flexible animation method.